32 replies to this topic

#21 Manny's PS2

Manny's PS2

Bippity Boppity Boo

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

PS: I hope Roger Clemens gets bit by a scorpian while pitching in Puerto Rico this winter. (disclaimer: if scorpions are not native to PR (I'm very ignorant to the native species of PR, subsitute with one of the following: wolverine, vampire bat, honey badger, the spider on Greg Brady while visiting Hawaii, Box jellyfish, Harvester ants or whatever else hurts, stings and/or poisons).

I was bitten by a scorpion two years ago in my backyard and aside from hurting as if fifteen bees stung the same spot at once, and my foot growing to the size of a hoof for a few days, it wasn't life threatening. My daughter still talks about the day I came in the back door hopping on one foot, swearing, crying and laughing at the same time.

Edited by Manny's PS2, 07 November 2011 - 08:13 AM.

#22 Sox Sweep Again

Sox Sweep Again

Mountain zoned.

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:26 AM

I was bitten by a scorpion two years ago in my backyard and aside from hurting as if fifteen bees stung the same spot at once, and my foot growing to the size of a hoof for a few days, it wasn't life threatening. My daughter still talks about the day I came in the back door hopping on one foot, swearing, crying and laughing at the same time.

Yeah, I woulda put Stapleton in too.

#23 Manny's PS2

Manny's PS2

Bippity Boppity Boo

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

I am the convincer.

#24 Sox Sweep Again

Sox Sweep Again

Mountain zoned.

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

I am the convincer.

I am thinking Buckner missed the grounder because he was bitten by a scorpion in the dugout and didn't tell McNamara.

#25 Manny's PS2

Manny's PS2

Bippity Boppity Boo

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

I am thinking Buckner missed the grounder because he was bitten by a scorpion in the dugout and didn't tell McNamara.

Scoripions don't do well in cold climates, so I don't think that happened.

#26 rominer

rominer

Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,921 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

So, I guess the new one that I hadn't heard before is that, according to McNamara, Oil Can Boyd was too drunk to pitch in Game 7.

Which, given the opponent, seems somewhat implausible.

#27 CesarTovar

CesarTovar

Short Season A Lowell

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:54 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the nickname "Shakey" is supposed to mean?

#28 Manny's PS2

Manny's PS2

Bippity Boppity Boo

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the nickname "Shakey" is supposed to mean?

Inconsistent, unpredictable...shitty.

#29 CesarTovar

CesarTovar

Short Season A Lowell

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Inconsistent, unpredictable...shitty.

Ahh...okay, good. Clearly, I have a juvenile mind.

#30 jwmann2

jwmann2

Draft Choice

• 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

Imagine yourself watching the World Series that year and Johnny Mac substitutes Stapleton for Buckner. You would say WTF?
No one knew that routine play was going to happen. Blame the pitcher. He gave up the runs that game. Should have struck them out.

#31 JMDurron

JMDurron

Season Ticket Holder

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Imagine yourself watching the World Series that year and Johnny Mac substitutes Stapleton for Buckner. You would say WTF?
No one knew that routine play was going to happen. Blame the pitcher. He gave up the runs that game. Should have struck them out.

Given that Stapleton was at 1B at the end of every Red Sox postseason win in 1986, no, nobody would have said "WTF?", unless they weren't paying attention before that game.

#32 coloradojack

coloradojack

trust me

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

Quite the opposite. I saved my "WTF" when I noticed that Stapleton was not at first.

#33 Kid T

Kid T

No soup for you!

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Well, as others pointed out Stapleton was brought in as a late inning defensive replacement regularly throughout the post-season. In interviews immediately after the game, McNamara said he left Buckner on the field because he felt "Buckner deserved to celebrate the World Series win from the field". Also, you must not know/remember who was pitching. Bob Stanley was NOT a strikeout pitcher, averaging fewer than 4 K'/9 (though curiously, he had a career high 5.9 that year...which would have made him league average, and still not a strikeout pitcher).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users