Paps to Philly

#2 User is online  
BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

http://boston.sbnati...-reach-contract

Do we make Bard the closer or sign a free agent?

#3 User is online  
BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

I want to make clear that the subtitle to this thread was mine and not Anni's. She would never sink to such depths. We both started threads less than a minute apart and she combined them. Of course she also beat me to it, but by less than a minute.

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 11 November 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

Do we make Bard the closer or sign a free agent?

Closer by committee. Bard, Jenks, Aceves. Bring back Scott Williamson. Chad Fox. Just might work.

Cudahy 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

Well it does free up 12 million to strengthen the bullpen. Looks like the focus will be totally on pitching this offseason.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

If it's true that Paps is getting 4/$50 million, then wtf are the Red Sox thinking? The Red Sox paid Paps $12 million last year and he was worth it. Thinking that he's gonna sign for less is ridiculous.

Sign K-Rod and hope he magically finds his younger self.

acr 

• Clay Buchholz stole my laptop
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Heath Bell is the only option that would make me happy at this point. I don't think Bard has the consistency to close, yet if it came down to him or some of the other free agent options, we might as well stick with what we know and what we have.

I don't see why people are blaming Ben Cherington for "letting him go". Papelbon was a UFA and we've known for years he was waiting for free agency to get the best deal for him. After last year's debacle, I don't blame him one bit for choosing to leave. We don't even have a manager or pitching coach at the moment, there's a lot of uncertainty about this team going forward. At the same time, the damn mercenary Phillies with a great team, great coaching staff, great stadium, etc. offer him a 4 year contract, I don't fault him for taking it.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Note: you will likely not hear Shipping Up To Boston at Fenway next year. I know the play it during games for the other local teams, but it just won't be the same if the play it during a Red Sox game and Paps isn't coming out of the bullpen (personally I preferred Wild Thing as Paps left the bullpen and then Shipping Up To Boston when he hit the mound).

I don't think that Heath Bell is walking through that door. If they sign Madson for less, then I'm okay with that, but Madson really just became a closer last year.

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 11 November 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

I want to make clear that the subtitle to this thread was mine and not Anni's. She would never sink to such depths. We both started threads less than a minute apart and she combined them. Of course she also beat me to it, but by less than a minute.

I concur with the subtitle, but you are a gentleman to take the responsibility! Remember, I'm still stuck with "nether orifice"~

I did combine the threads. I linked my thread to yours, which is why it grabbed your title, but seeing I must have beat you by a milli-second it used by name!

acr 

• Clay Buchholz stole my laptop
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

I'm surprised that it was only an average of $12.5 a year. I know that the market for closers is down after the big K-Rod and BJ Ryan busts, but Papelbon is the biggest blue chip closer to ever really hit unrestricted free agency. Rivera's making almost $15 a year if I recall correctly, and outside of him, there's no more reliable closer in the game than Paps. Plus he's much younger, can project more longevity, and has absolutely no injury concern. The only injury I recall him having was that strain that shut him down in his first full year closing in '06, 5 years ago. Maybe he was given two options, more money and less years or more years and less money, and he opted for the 4th year. I still would've projected him getting $14-16 million from someone.

Cudahy 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

I assume we had a limit of a 3 year offer and half expected someone would go 4 years.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

Papelbon isn't worth 4 years at $50 mil in my opinion. He falls in love with his fastball too much and forgets about his splitter. Heath Bell is also not worth a sign (though he did express some interest in Boston). He's an older pitcher who has lost some velocity and gives up a ton of flyballs that are outs in PetCo but probably wouldn't be in Fenway.

I'd love to see the Sox sign Broxton to an incentive laden contract. If they are truly looking for a closer, I'd want Madsen. He might be just as good as Papelbon, but much cheaper since he hasn't been a closer for more than a year. This is a buyers market for relief pitchers and the Phillies overpaid to get their first choice.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

View PostKid T, on 11 November 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

I'd love to see the Sox sign Broxton to an incentive laden contract.

Broxton would be a nice idea. You could then have Broxton, Jenks, and Bard fight it out. I wonder who wins in a fight between 2 fat guys and a skinny guy. If Bard ends up being the closer, then this team reaaaalllly needs a shutdown set-up man.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Too bad Dick Radatz is dead.

#15 User is online  
BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

View PostCudahy, on 11 November 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

I assume we had a limit of a 3 year offer and half expected someone would go 4 years.

I think it's a combination of this and the fact that we wants to be the closer for a contending team that plays before a packed house every night. The only 2 options were staying put and going to Philly.

Cudahy 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

Madsons stats look about as good as Papelbons. They're the same age. It would be weird if they just switched teams.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

View PostCudahy, on 11 November 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

Madsons stats look about as good as Papelbons. They're the same age. It would be weird if they just switched teams.

Sox would save some money (as presumably, Madson would get paid less). And the teams would swap 1st round picks and gain a supplemental round pick each.

CTLovesTheSox 

• Don't mess with this guy
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Craig Hansen is available.

roidrage 

• Nose Goblin Collector
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Nah, I'm casting my vote for Eric Gagne