• You cannot reply to this topic

Inside Fenway Park
PBS Special

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

There will be an interesting National Geographic Inside: Fenway Park on PBS tonight to celebrate Fenway's 100th anniversary.

The documentary features interviews with columnist Mike Barnicle, author Glenn Stout, commentator Dick Flavin and ESPN.com senior writer Howard Bryant. "Inside Fenway Park: An Icon at 100" also pays tribute to those who work behind the scenes. David Mellor, director of grounds, reveals how torrential rains can bring fish from the Charles River to the field. Dean Lewis, locker room attendant, shows how pristine baseballs have been rubbed with Delaware River mud since 1939. Facilities supervisor Donnie Gardiner reveals that his wife is his mistress because he’s “married to Fenway.” Protecting the park for 23 years, he has never been able to watch a game in its entirety.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've seen The Town. Is there more?

Botolph 

• AAA Pawtucket
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostKid T, on 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

There will be an interesting National Geographic Inside: Fenway Park on PBS tonight to celebrate Fenway's 100th anniversary.

I've seen some of the script for this. It's a lot of the same old tripe. What a list of interviews! Ignore this in favor of visiting the ball park yourself.

VoteRiceIn 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostBotolph, on 27 March 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

I've seen some of the script for this. It's a lot of the same old tripe. What a list of interviews! Ignore this in favor of visiting the ball park yourself.

I watched it and was dissapointed.
Agree with your post, the film contained zero new content, insight or interesting/never heard before stories.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostVoteRiceIn, on 28 March 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

I watched it and was dissapointed.
Agree with your post, the film contained zero new content, insight or interesting/never heard before stories.

I found a couple of tidbits (John and Jean Yawkey's initials are in morse code on the scoreboard), but found Mike Barnicle to be a miserly, lesser version of Dan Shaughnessy. Still, a well made documentary that actually didn't gloss over the history delayed integration.

VoteRiceIn 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostKid T, on 28 March 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

I found a couple of tidbits (John and Jean Yawkey's initials are in morse code on the scoreboard), but found Mike Barnicle to be a miserly, lesser version of Dan Shaughnessy. Still, a well made documentary that actually didn't gloss over the history delayed integration.

I've long known of the Yawkey's initials in the SB and in regards to the delayed integration, during the film Tom Yawkey seemed to be both glorified (long time owner) and vilified (no blacks essentially were allowed in Fenway for 60+ years), a bit contradictory of how he was portrayed in the film I thought.

VoteRiceIn 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Eric Wilbur I think provides an accurate review.

Excerpt:

I hate to think that brands like National Geographic or PBS would surrender to the relentless Yawkey Way PR in their endeavors, but what we witnessed in the latter half of the Fenway Park 100th anniversary documentary would seem to say otherwise. What we expected was a deep, one-hour retrospective on the history of the old ballyard, rich with vintage clips and tales from those who knew the place when. (Not that Mike Barnicle can't weave a tale, but did he build the place? Enough.)
In the end, we got a Fenway Park advertisement. And we didn't even get a Curious George tote bag in return.
But I have never witnessed such glorification since Adam Richman ripped into a five cheese nacho plate.

Eric Wilbur - boston.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users