jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

View PostCambridge, on Oct 15 2008, 03:07 PM, said:

Not an interview, but something many of you might enjoy:

http://www.baseballp...?articleid=8209

Excellent piece, Dave. Your mention of afternoon WS games reminded me of how I heard Maz's 1960 WS homer. School ended at 3:35 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 13, and I got my radio back from the teacher who had confiscated it in the third inning. Turned on the radio to hear the HR call, I think by Chuck Thompson.

Also, my dad always told us you never boo a big league player because they have made it to the top of their profession, even the .200 hitters. Funny how things that parents tell you stick for life.

The Love Below 

• Don't believe the hype.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Barstaff

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

I enjoyed that a lot, David. Were the Maddon's left alone for most of the game?

yankeehater 

• 40 Man Roster
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

That was a nice read David. I can't wait to take my son to his first Red Sox game next year.

I too have a hard time leaving the ballpark early, no matter what the score. A day at most any ballpark, but especially Fenway, is hard to beat as far as I am concerned. I want it to last as long as possible.

The Love Below 

• Don't believe the hype.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Barstaff

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

I've left a park early twice, both times because the heat was unbearable.

The first time was in Fenway, about 13 years ago. Sox were playing the Mariners. For some reason Ken Griffey Jr. was not in the lineup and that was one of the main reasons to get a ticket for this game. Anyway, we are absolutely dying in an unseasonably and unreasonably hot early June day. Couldn't take it anymore and retreated underneath for some shade and water. My dad stays in the seats and a young Troy O'Leary goes deep in the 10th to win it.

The second time, I don't have the date, but it was sometime in July in 2002. The Indians were getting pounded in a day game, it was 103 degrees and we were sitting on a concrete slab in the bleachers, with the sun beating directly down on us. We ended up retreating to higher seating for shade and breeze later in the game, but the heat and humidity was so oppressive that neither my friend nor myself could take it anymore and we left. Got to my sister's house later that night in Michigan, turned on Baseball Tonight only to find that the Indians started piling on the HRs and I believe Thome or Burks hit a walk off to win it. One of them had a grand slam to get them back in the game, the other had the walkoff.

I vowed never to leave a game early ever again.

Sox Sweep Again 

• Mountain zoned.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

View PostThe Love Below, on Oct 16 2008, 02:34 PM, said:

I've left a park early twice, both times because the heat was unbearable.

The first time was in Fenway, about 13 years ago. Sox were playing the Mariners. For some reason Ken Griffey Jr. was not in the lineup and that was one of the main reasons to get a ticket for this game. Anyway, we are absolutely dying in an unseasonably and unreasonably hot early June day. Couldn't take it anymore and retreated underneath for some shade and water. My dad stays in the seats and a young Troy O'Leary goes deep in the 10th to win it.

The second time, I don't have the date, but it was sometime in July in 2002. The Indians were getting pounded in a day game, it was 103 degrees and we were sitting on a concrete slab in the bleachers, with the sun beating directly down on us. We ended up retreating to higher seating for shade and breeze later in the game, but the heat and humidity was so oppressive that neither my friend nor myself could take it anymore and we left. Got to my sister's house later that night in Michigan, turned on Baseball Tonight only to find that the Indians started piling on the HRs and I believe Thome or Burks hit a walk off to win it. One of them had a grand slam to get them back in the game, the other had the walkoff.

I vowed never to leave a game early ever again.

Only time I ever left early from Fenway was when the asshole busdriver for the church group I was traveling with insisted on "beating the traffic" in the 8th inning of a 7-2 Sox loss. Some of the kids even cried, and this guy turned into a whiny bitch and got his way.

Also, nice piece, Dave.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users