• You cannot reply to this topic

the world's most sensitive homeplate umpire
ejects player from 250-300 feet away

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

I've heard of umpires having rabbit ears but this is ridiculous.
In Sunday's game, homeplate umpire Ed Rapuano ejected the Phil's Shane Victorino for aruing balls and strikes. Victorio was in centerfield and apparently gestured with his arms because he didn't like a call on a pitch. The home plate ump saw him and got mad. This deserves a "WTF?"

Rapuano said that after he called a ball on Rodrigo Lopez's 0-2 offering to Marlins third baseman Wes Helms, he saw Victorino waving his arms in disapproval. The umpire then stepped toward the outfield and gestured as a warning.

Then he saw Victorino wave his arms a second time. So without hesitation, Rapuano pointed again at Victorino and this time delivered the ejection signal.

"I gave him the chance to not do it again," said Rapuano, who has 18 1/2 years of Major League service time. "He's right in the line of sight and he's out in front of everybody, waving his arms in disgust of a pitch that I called. It is very simple."

Maybe so, but he's still 250-300 feet away from you. Unless he's grabbing his crotch and pointing at you, or jumping up and down with both middle fingers extended, how can you justify throwing him out of the game? This is dumb.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

View Postyazgoesbacklooksupitsgone, on 10 August 2009 - 04:01 PM, said:

In Sunday's game, homeplate umpire Ed Rapuano ejected the Phil's Shane Victorino for aruing balls and strikes. Victorio was in centerfield and apparently gestured with his arms because he didn't like a call on a pitch. The home plate ump saw him and got mad. This deserves a "WTF?"

Maybe so, but he's still 250-300 feet away from you. Unless he's grabbing his crotch and pointing at you, or jumping up and down with both middle fingers extended, how can you justify throwing him out of the game? This is dumb.

Victorino is an idiot. The rules are pretty clear that neither players nor managers are allowed to argue balls and strikes. Victorino knows the unwritten rule that an umpire will allow questions as long as you don't show him up. Standing out in the outfield waving your arms is a pretty stupid thing to do.

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

View PostThe Ghost of Ned Martin, on 10 August 2009 - 04:26 PM, said:

Victorino is an idiot. The rules are pretty clear that neither players nor managers are allowed to argue balls and strikes. Victorino knows the unwritten rule that an umpire will allow questions as long as you don't show him up. Standing out in the outfield waving your arms is a pretty stupid thing to do.

So you're not allowed to play with emotion now? You better let your boy Dustin know about this rule change. He'll be tossed in the first inning of every game from now on.

The rule you cite is not as simple as you are "not allowed to argue balls and strikes."

Rule 9.02(a) Comment: Players leaving their position in the field or on base, or managers or coaches leaving the bench or coaches box, to argue on BALLS AND STRIKES will not be permitted. They should be warned if they start for the plate to protest the call. If they continue, they will be ejected from the game.

Victorino did not leave his position, he did not start for the plate. Hell, he didn't even argue. He made a gesture with his arms. Guys kick dirt, punch their gloves, put their hands on their heads, roll their eyes, etc. when they don't like a call. If you start policing such actions out of the game, you may as well call up that Japanese scientist who was in the news recently and order a shitload of baseball playing robots.
The umpire was way over the line.

Sox Sweep Again 

• Mountain zoned.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

View Postyazgoesbacklooksupitsgone, on 10 August 2009 - 04:01 PM, said:

Saw that. Asinine.

I agree that the umpire should have ignored it. Instead he acts like an insecure 5th grader. "He's right in the line of sight and he's out in front of everybody, [Rapuano's eyes welled with tears] waving his arms in disgust of a pitch that I called."

What a little baby.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

if i was Victorino i'd have gone all Tommy Boy on Rapuano..... "bees!!!"

This post has been edited by coloradojack: 10 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

View Postyazgoesbacklooksupitsgone, on 10 August 2009 - 05:00 PM, said:

Victorino did not leave his position, he did not start for the plate. Hell, he didn't even argue. He made a gesture with his arms. Guys kick dirt, punch their gloves, put their hands on their heads, roll their eyes, etc. when they don't like a call. If you start policing such actions out of the game, you may as well call up that Japanese scientist who was in the news recently and order a shitload of baseball playing robots.
The umpire was way over the line.

He should be ejected every game just for being an overrated, dwarf, dick.

I can't stand him.

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

View PostThe Ghost of Ned Martin, on 10 August 2009 - 06:24 PM, said:

He should be ejected every game just for being an overrated, dwarf, dick.

I can't stand him.

Ok, now I understand your position. It's not about your interpretation of the rules, but your irrational hatred toward Victtorino. That's OK. I feel the same way about Eric Byrnes, who is an overrated, dwarf-dick who dives at every opportunity, and the entirety of the NY Mets organization.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

View Postyazgoesbacklooksupitsgone, on 10 August 2009 - 06:39 PM, said:

Ok, now I understand your position. It's not about your interpretation of the rules, but your irrational hatred toward Victtorino. That's OK. I feel the same way about Eric Byrnes, who is an overrated, dwarf-dick who dives at every opportunity, and the entirety of the NY Mets organization.

I agree on the Mets. The pain they are experiencing this season is proof that God exists.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users