Royal Rooters: Can You Believe Anything a Guy Named "Corky" Writes? - Royal Rooters

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can You Believe Anything a Guy Named "Corky" Writes?
Incredibly Stupid Article Ripping Sox & Their Fans

BklynSoxFan44 

• Trivia Maven Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

Did anyone else catch this article in Tuesday's New York Daily News, which amazingly was put on page 3 of the paper? Some jackass named Corky Siemaszko wrote an article ripping the Red Sox and their fans as "losers" because they had to settle for the Wild Card instead of winning the division. It is so embarrassingly bad the News should be ashamed for printing it:

Red Sox Nation OK with loser status

By CORKY SIEMASZKO

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

RED SOX NATION is in denial.

Boston's battered players and whiny fans tried to pretend yesterday their team's humiliating, crushing--and just plain awful--thrashing at the hands of the Bronx Bombers this weekend really didn't matter.

Beantown's baseball scribes drenched their team's stinky performance in verbal cologne and twisted themselves into knots trying to explain why getting swept by the Yankees was really part of the master plan.

Boston Globe baseball writer Dan Shaughnessy wrote words no self-respecting Yankees fan would think, let alone say: "Finishing second is A-OK at this point."

Shaughnessy also shamelessly suggested that losing three in a row to the Yanks was part of manager Terry Francona's "rope-a-dope" strategy.

"Occasionally, this means giving a guy like Jason Bay a day off when the Yankees are taking your lunch money," he wrote. "It means giving the big guys a rest."

Baloney, Yankees fans say. The Bronx Bombers, champs that they are, didn't ease up until they clinched the AL East.

"They're used to losing," Eugene Sterrazza, 41, of upstate Monroe said of Sox fans as he picked out a 2009 Division Champions hat at the Yankees Clubhouse on Fifth Avenue.

"The Yankees are different. Our fans want to win everything."

Unlike Red Sox fans--and their beloved players.

"I don't care," Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis declared as the Yankees broke out the bubbly and celebrated. "I want to get into the playoffs. Once we get there, it's a whole other game."

"Once the postseason starts, everything else is kind of thrown out the window," chimed in Red Sox leftfielder Jason Bay.

Designated hitter David Ortiz said the division title is meaningless.

"I was a wild card once and got a World Series," the syntax-challenged slugger said, referring to the 2004 season, when the Red Sox won it all.

Many Boston fans weighing in on sports Web sites appeared to be toeing the Red Sox Nation's party line.

"Time for (Francona) to wrap up the wild card, give some guys rest and set the rotation for the playoffs," NCparrothead wrote to Globe.com.

Michael Silverman, a columnist at the Boston Herald, wrote the Red Sox's mind-set "should be to stop worrying about the Yankees--until they have to."

But not every Red Sox fan was buying that excuse, especially one called Stuckinsopranoland.

"I didn't see any fire in these guys," he wrote of the Red Sox on Globe.com. "The Yankees got to embarrass them by celebrating the title after sweeping them."

And die-hard Yankees fan Nick Cervino, 40, of Closter, N.J., laughed at all of Boston's excuses.

"Of course they're going to say that because they lost," he said. "if they had won, they'd be talking differently."

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

Corky? That's the retahded kid from TV. Give him a break. This is pretty good stuff, considering.

BklynSoxFan44 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

"Good stuff?" Hardly. The guy's acting like the MFY has just won the World Series, and he blindly dismisses the Sox winning the Wild Card, conveniently forgetting three teams have won the Series this decade through the Wild Card. (And who's fans whine more than the MFY?) And his shot at Papi is borderline racist.

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

The name of the game in newspapering these days is web count. Writing something inflamatory about Red Sox fans is low-hanging fruit because you know thousands are going to chime in to call you an a**hole.
If you want to get even, don't click on the link. You did one better by posting the entire article (although you should expect a personal note from Annie regarding the same)

This post has been edited by yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone: 30 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

But, he's trying really hard to be normal. Can't you cut him some slack?

BklynSoxFan44 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

OK Manny, you've convinced me!

Actually Yaz, the article did not appear online, just in the print editions of the Daily News. Very curious. My apologies to Annie, but that's the only way I could make my point. It was a hot topic of discussion at Professor Thom's last night. I plan to write this guy a very carefully worded email once the MFY do their usual flop out of the playoffs...

This post has been edited by BklynSoxFan44: 30 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

Edmund Dantes 

• No Real Complaints, Only Imaginary Ones.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Barstaff

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

I read it for free from one of those Metro North late night rides on an off peak train where papers are left all over the place from the commuters. I chalked it up to the typical arrogant angry my self worth is directly tied to the yankees type of fans that have been missing (or subdued/less noisy) from the world since about 2004. Nice to see them back. It'll be even more fun watching them slink off again when the Yankees don't win it all.

This post has been edited by Edmund Dantes: 30 September 2009 - 10:33 AM

TreeRol 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

View PostBklynSoxFan44, on 30 September 2009 - 09:35 AM, said:

"They're used to losing," Eugene Sterrazza, 41, of upstate Monroe said of Sox fans as he picked out a 2009 Division Champions hat at the Yankees Clubhouse on Fifth Avenue.

I hope the hat finds a place on his mantel next to the 2004 hat.

These people are too stupid for words.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

Here's the thing with New Yorkers. There are 4 types:

1. Fresh off the boat immigrants, who are just trying to make it in America.
2. Fresh off the bus "immigrants," who are just trying to make it big in America.
3. People who have actually made it big in America.

and...

4. The least intelligent, most ignorant people in America. And there are millions of them. Their ancestors came to America from faraway lands in search of a better life. These people honor their heritage by never leaving their little island. The members of their ancestral gene pool who were blessed with a full complement of chromosomes long since moved out of the old neighborhood when they made something of themselves, or moved on to various points across this vast land with the continued ambition for a better life. But these people, generations later, still think that they reside in the center of the universe – despite in many cases having never ventured 20 miles from their city. While hillbillies and rednecks and country bumpkins may all be naive from not having seen the world, these idiots are worse, because they don't even grasp that there is some other world to see. They are crammed into tiny apartments, surrounded by filth in air, land, and sea, yet they persist in believing that they are great by mere virtue of being New Yorkers.

Good for them. They will still be better than me even after their team loses. So it's just as well that their team loses.

The Love Below 

• Don't believe the hype.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Barstaff

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

View PostBklynSoxFan44, on 30 September 2009 - 10:16 AM, said:

Actually Yaz, the article did not appear online, just in the print editions of the Daily News. Very curious. My apologies to Annie, but that's the only way I could make my point. It was a hot topic of discussion at Professor Thom's last night. I plan to write this guy a very carefully worded email once the MFY do their usual flop out of the playoffs...

Why bother? All that would do is give this hack some sense of credibility. His sources range from "Dis guy here on a barstool" to "Jimmy Bagadonuts from Guidoville, NJ". Does anyone honestly give a shit what these mouthbreathers think? The only part that I was upset with was when he referred to Ortiz as being 'syntax-challenged', because Ortiz doesn't speak the King's English. Oh, the horror! A foreign man messes up his second language!

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

Funny but the Yankees sure seemed to enjoy their celebration the other night when, in reality, they had accomplished nothing more than the Red Sox did last night. They both qualified for the post season. It seems that Yankee fans are becoming the MLB version of the Bruins fans who used to look on all those Adams Division Championship Banners with such pride.

That's what happens when winning the division is pretty much the best accomplishment your team has achieved in a decade.

Don't let them kid you. Most Yankee fans are repeatedly throwing up in their mouths (and since they are Yankee fans they probably threw up in each other's mouths as well) because they are scared to death that this Yankee team, like all of the 200X versions, is going to cough up a fur ball in the post season.

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

View PostThe Ghost of Ned Martin, on 30 September 2009 - 07:02 PM, said:

Most Yankee fans ...are scared to death that this Yankee team, like all of the 200X versions, is going to cough up a fur ball in the post season.

Actually, for the first time since 2002, I trust a Yankee team heading to the playoffs. The Angels knocked the arrogance out of me in 2002, 2003 was a tough ride, 2004 a nightmare, and you know about 2005-07.

This year's team has really melded into a group of players who have each other's backs. It's a great team, as the stats and the W-L record indicate.

They remind me in a way of the 2007 Patriots. Great team, now they have to finish it off against some very good teams. It's not easy. But I'm not throwing up in my mouth. Give me a case of Guinness, some cheese and crackers, and I'm ready for what comes.

If they fall short, I'll just curse the TV and walk around pissed off until next August when I start to believe again.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

View Postjackson, on 30 September 2009 - 09:45 PM, said:

If they fall short, I'll just curse the TV and walk around pissed off until next August when I start to believe again.

I'm not surprised since you are not a typical Yankee fan. My point remains valid for a good portion of Yankee fans under the age of 30.

Jack Hayden 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:07 PM

View Postjackson, on 30 September 2009 - 09:45 PM, said:

Actually, for the first time since 2002, I trust a Yankee team heading to the playoffs. The Angels knocked the arrogance out of me in 2002, 2003 was a tough ride, 2004 a nightmare, and you know about 2005-07.

2002 was great.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users