• You cannot reply to this topic

Former Peabody Pitcher Jeff Allison
Aug. 22, 2010 update

The Love Below 

• Don't believe the hype.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Barstaff

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:44 PM

I went to the batting cages last night because my friend needed to buy some baseball pants from the pro shop. So, as he's looking for pants, I'm watching some of the tunnels, where kids are getting lessons and stuff. Someone left a newspaper on the counter that I was leaning on, it's opened up to the article about Jeff Allison. So I start reading it, then I look up and see none other than Jeff Allison tossing in one of the tunnels, surrounded by the same friends from the picture in the newspaper. Definitely has good stuff and I hope that he's learned that he shouldn't be wasting his gift and, more importantly, that he shouldn't be wasting his life. I wish him the best of luck in the future.

Caspir 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:50 PM

TLB, which cage were you at? Him and I went to one (name escapes me) I believe in like Middleton or something. It's indoors, has the counter right when you walk in. Towards the back is a little area with tv's and a candy machine. Shit, I can't think of the name....

The Love Below 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:55 PM

The one you speak of is called Extra Innings. A friend of mine had mentioned that he's seen Allison there. I totally forgot until I started reading the article and looked up to realize one of the kids I had been watching pitch was him.

What were you doing up in my area? Do I need to start locking my doors in fear?

Caspir 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:05 PM

Yep, you better lock them up. Extra Innings, I don't know why I couldn't remember that name. He took me there a few months back. I didn't even know the place existed, but it's not too bad at all.

The Love Below 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:49 PM

Caspir, on Dec 14 2004, 01:01 PM, said:

Yep, you better lock them up. Extra Innings, I don't know why I couldn't remember that name. He took me there a few months back. I didn't even know the place existed, but it's not too bad at all.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not bad if you're a super serious player and have the time and money to get instruction, but the cages are pretty terrible. The friggin coin-op machines are all over the place.

Anyway, it was cool to see him throwing there. I wish nothing but great things for him. I mean, if he can overcome a drug addiction, then making it in the bigs should be a cinch. And looking back in the thread, I can't believe that I missed the part of the game, I could've gone. Oh well, must've been a hell of a time.

GreenBud 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

There is an excellent article about Allison, in either, the present or the upcoming issue of SI. I think Peyton Manning is on the cover. Check it out! I sure hope this kid can straighten himself out.

EDIT: It's the Dec. 20th issue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/FrostyGreenBud/t1cover_1220.jpg

The Pride of Peabody: He was the nation's best high school pitcher, bound for the Florida Marlins and stardom. But Jeff Allison also had a drug addiction, and it nearly killed him

This post has been edited by GreenBud: 16 December 2004 - 12:37 AM

Irishguy 87 

• AA Portland
  • PipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:48 AM

The artical is fantastic. I really hope is can stay clean. Its a kinda sad story that doesnt yet have an ending. A freind of mine from Peabody said he saw him playing in pick up games at a park there. I dont remember the the name. But from what i have read from the previous posts is that he is still throwing. I hope he can return to the Marlins with the same stuff he had is high school.

This post has been edited by Irishguy 87: 17 December 2004 - 12:48 AM

W.A. Cummings 

• 40 Man Roster
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:30 PM

Sometimes when I'm bored, I'll browse through the archives of baseball site, and one of my favorite sites to browse is Baseball America because I love seeing how views have changed on the prospects. Well, being pretty bored for the last hour or so I came across this find..
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/leagu...AllisonPOY.html

Young athletes growing up in the Northeast most often gravitate to hockey, basketball or football. Summers are short and winters bitterly cold, making baseball a less attractive option and ensuring fewer blue-chip baseball prospects than other regions.

But Massachusetts' Jeff Allison shattered those stereotypes with a senior season that earned him Baseball America's High School Player of the Year Award.

The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association voted last fall to ban metal bats for the 2003 regular season and tournament. Somewhere, Allison was grinning ear to ear.

The 6-foot-2, 195-pound righthander from Veterans Memorial High of Peabody, Mass., had already dominated hitters armed with aluminum as a junior. He was downright devastating this spring against those wielding wood.

Allison tossed 63 2/3 innings without allowing an earned run. He was 9-0, 0.00 with 142 strikeouts and nine walks, surrendering just 13 hits and one unearned run. He also batted .441-2-29.

"A number of times after Allison won a game all the reporters went and talked to the players that got hits," coach Ed Nizwantowski said. "That's how good he was, they wanted to talk to the guy who (reached base) against him. I've coached for 34 years and this was something special. Rarely do you run into something like this."

Dogged Demeanor

As electric as his arm is, Allison offers an equally overpowering attitude. He pitches with ferocity, trying to overpower opponents with both his stuff and his will.

"I don't care where you're from," Allison said. "I know where I'm from and I'm going to dominate you. It's a different mentality I've had all my life."

And Allison, the Marlins' first-round pick, supported that statement this spring. He tossed a two-hitter in his first outing, a 7-0 win over Everett (Mass.) High and spun consecutive no-hitters in May, the first in a 2-0 win against Cambridge High of Weston, Mass., and the second against Somerville (Mass.) High in a 10-0 win in which he struck out 20. Allison's award-winning season also featured four one-hitters.

"So many times during the course of the year, he would stand up guys with his breaking ball," Nizwantowski said. "But to me the difference was his control. His control was astronomical and his determination is unbelievable."

Some may say Allison's season deserves an asterisk because of Massachusetts' use of wood bats (the MIAA announced to return to aluminum bats in 2004), but he disagrees.

"You'd think it would be easier but I didn't think it was," he said. "Whenever I'm pitching every team shortens their swing. But I just play a little harder than they do and some say I get into their heads.

"You look into their face, eye-to-eye before they get into the box. Once you throw that first curveball and their knees buckle, that's when you know they're nervous. And then they're a second late on the fastball and you know you've got them."

As if his mid-90s fastball, mid-80s power breaking ball and good control weren't enough of an advantage, Allison's tenacious approach gave him an extra edge.

"He's the real deal," said Pat Yanchus, the coach at nearby St. John's Prep, which lost to Allison in the district semifinals. "He's throwing in the mid-90s, and he has a good curve and throws it almost 85. Most guys aren't throwing their fastballs that hard."

Storybook Ending

It was against Yanchus and St. John's Prep that Allison's career reached its pinnacle. In the North Division sectional semifinals, Veterans Memorial fell behind 1-0 on an unearned run in the top of eighth inning and Allison moved to right field.

"His pitch count was high and I think he just needed some time to rest," Nizwantowski said. "There were 4,000-4,500 people there and it was an (exhausting) atmosphere."

Junior righthander Ryan Moorer entered and got the final out of the inning before Allison singled in the bottom of the eighth, stole second and moved to third on a throwing error that plated the game-tying run. With two outs and pinch-hitter Robert Celanto at the plate, Allison made a gamble that paid off with the winning run.

"I was thinking to myself he wasn't going to hit the ball, so I took a real big lead," Allison said. "Then finally, on the 0-2 pitch I took off . . . the pitch was a ball and I jumped over the catcher and came back and touched home plate. There were about 4,000 people going insane."

With a 2-1 lead, Allison returned to right field, but when Danvers' Matt Antonelli reached base with one out in the ninth, Nizwantowski looked out to Allison.

"I told him to let me know when he wanted to come back in and he gave me the sign," Nizwantowski said.

"It was like a scene from a movie," Allison said. "I went into the dugout and changed my glove and no one really knew what was going on for a second. Then I came out and everyone went ballistic."

Allison retired the side, earning the win, the save and scoring the game's decisive run.

"He kept saying he wasn't going to lose to this baseball team," Nizwantowski said. "He talked the talk and walked the walk."

There won't be many steals of home or late-inning returns to the mound for Allison, but his future as a professional is promising.

Entering his senior season, he was in a group of highly regarded prep pitchers and climbed the draft charts rapidly with his lean, athletic frame and fluid delivery.

"His pitching motion is like you and I walking, that’s how easy it is," Nizwantowski said.

"He usually brings good stuff to the park and his competitiveness sets him apart," Marlins scouting director Stan Meek said. "He has a very good arm with a three-quarters, power breaking ball and good velocity. His personality of being a real tough competitor was something we really liked, as well."

Allison may have been a top 10 pick, but speculation suggested he would be tough to sign. Meek was optimistic Allison would sign and felt strongly enough about Allison's tools and makeup to take him with the 16th overall pick.

"You could call it a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, and a good chip," said Meek when asked about Allison's attitude. "It's helped him become more determined, to work harder, and we like that."

That story about getting the win, scoring the winning run, AND getting the save is one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

DWO 

• Master Thread Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:47 AM

That is a hell of an article.

This sucks for this kid. So much talent, I certainly hope that he isn't ****** up for life.

bahstonsox 

• AA Portland
  • PipPip

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:29 AM

Oxycontin is one of the scariest things that I have ever seen to hit the Boston area........

I grew up on the North Shore of Boston and this drug affected tons of people I know.. I am talking some of the smartest, most talented kids I went to school with. In fact my best friend and I from high school do not have any communication together because of his OC addiction.

I know people in jail, in rehab, that stole from their families, and that do not leave their house anymore becuase they are so miserable from this drug...

This is a huge problem in Boston and this stuff will overtake you quickly..... Not like cocaine or a lot of other recreational drugs... Oxycontin is not recreational for most.. It becomes habit forming very quickly and it will make you miserable....

I hope this kid straightens himself out....

Sorry for the rant as this stuff really makes me pissed off and upset....

#51 User is online  
RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:50 PM

More fallout from a sad story with no winners:

Boston Herald - Long-time high school baseball coach loses his job

GreenBud 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:10 PM

Allison remains an absentee

The Marlins marked the opening of their minor-league spring training camp Tuesday by issuing a terse three-sentence statement regarding Jeffrey Allison, the team's first-round pick in the 2003 June amateur draft.

''Right-handed pitcher Jeff Allison's status with the Marlins organization remains unchanged,'' the statement read. ``He is on the restricted list and will not be joining the organization during spring training. The organization will have no further comment.''

The Marlins placed Allison, 20, on the restricted list last spring after he showed up five weeks late for minor-league spring training, then went AWOL less than a month later.

Although the team has never commented publicly on Allison's condition, the Marlins were aware at the time that the pitcher had been in and out of treatment programs for substance abuse, including an addiction to the prescription painkiller OxyContin.

The Marlins have withheld about two-thirds of Allison's $1.85 million bonus because of the repeated drug problems and are not required to pay him while he's on the restricted list.

Allison was Baseball America's High School Player of the Year as a senior at Peabody (Mass.) High, where he went 9-0 and did not allow an earned run in 64 innings, striking out 142.

But after pitching nine innings for the Marlins' Gulf Coast League that summer, he was sidelined with what was described as shoulder tendinitis and hasn't pitched since.

Caspir 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

Yea, he's actually still in Peabody living at home. Him and the girl I know have made up from their little tiff and hang out again. I haven't spoken to her in person in months, but I talked to her briefly a few weeks ago to catch up and she mentioned it. I don't see him ever getting back on track, personally.

GreenBud 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:45 PM

Caspir, on Mar 9 2005, 11:31 AM, said:

Yea, he's actually still in Peabody living at home. Him and the girl I know have made up from their little tiff and hang out again. I haven't spoken to her in person in months, but I talked to her briefly a few weeks ago to catch up and she mentioned it. I don't see him ever getting back on track, personally.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn, what is there to say? :( I sure hope he can get on track just to have a normal life if it still is bad for him.

#55 User is online  
RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

The Globe had a follow-up on Allison this morning. Truly a sad case, and a waste of incredible talent.

Christopher L. Gasper - Troubled pitcher Allison still on restricted list; His whereabouts unknown to family

" ..."No, we don't know where he is. We haven't heard from him," said his sister, Tracy Allison, yesterday, before hanging up the phone.

The Marlins said they'll have no further comment on Allison at this time. ..."

Caspir 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:18 PM

GreenBud, on Mar 9 2005, 02:41 PM, said:

Damn, what is there to say?  :(   I sure hope he can get on track just to have a normal life if it still is bad for him.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's sad because he had such talent, and he threw it away like that. He had a lot of people up here helping him to get things staight, and he basically turned his back on all of them. That quote from his sister that Anni posted is sad, because she was taking him to those drug centers for the last year or however long it's been. It's too bad.

#57 Guest_Boston chick 610_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:31 PM

Its a shame there isn't much recent information on Jeff's status w/ the marlins. But I personally know he has been drug free for quite a long time (since the overdose in July 2004) and has been working out andtraining and was excited to get back to playing baseball. He looks and is doing better than he has been in a long time. I assume he is still in Fl playing ball because he is not at home in Peabody. Lets all wish him luck cause he has lots of talent and is a great person!

GreenBud 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:55 PM

Boston chick 610, on Mar 26 2005, 08:27 PM, said:

Its a shame there isn't much recent information on Jeff's status w/ the marlins. But I personally know he has been drug free for quite a long time (since the overdose in July 2004) and has been working out andtraining and was excited to get back to playing baseball. He looks and is doing better than he has been in a long time. I assume he is still in Fl playing ball because he is not at home in Peabody. Lets all wish him luck cause he has lots of talent and is a great person!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But, there has been, chick, unfortunately...From Rotoworld....

Mar. 9, 2005 - 10:29 am et
Jeff Allison, the team's first-round pick in 2003, will not join the organization in any capacity during spring training.
The saga of the former Baseball America High School Player of the Year continues. He has been in and out of substance abuse treament centers over the last year, and it looks like the Marlins are trying to wash their hands of him.
Source: Miami Herald

EDIT: And here's another article a week later.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

PEABODY, Mass. — They speak of Jeff Allison here as if he were a ghost.

Some say they saw him a week ago; for others, it has been months.

Some say he has been working out daily, aiming at a comeback; others claim he's back in rehab for the OxyContin addiction that derailed his career as a pitcher in the Florida Marlins' organization — and nearly killed him.

He was rumored to be working out with other minor-leaguers at a baseball academy in Bradenton at the same time he was thought to be training in Cleveland.

Once considered the country's top high school pitcher, a can't-miss prospect, Jeff Allison now is a phantom.

This post has been edited by GreenBud: 27 March 2005 - 12:01 AM

Caspir 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:10 AM

Boston chick 610, on Mar 26 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know who's giving you your information, but it is incorrect. He isn't in Florida (at least as of a few weeks ago) and I know from first hand experiences around him that he most certainly is not drug free. He hasn't been drug free since his overdose, as many news orgs have shown. It's too bad, but he is really not doing that well. Hopefully he straightens up.

This post has been edited by Caspir: 27 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

GreenBud 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

Rumor has it that Allison is reporting to Single A - Greensboro tomorrow.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users