• You cannot reply to this topic

2010 Yankees thread
Be Kind Rewind

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

Did I mention Jeter's into his second week of personal spring training already? Last year, he made his many critics look stupid by having a solid season playing shortstop for a championship team. This year, he's in the last year of his 10-year contract that cost the Yankees $189M back in 2000. He's making $21M this coming season and won't talk about negotiations until the end of the season, as is the Yankee custom. Rivera is also in the last year of his deal.

Jeter leads by example. He wants more than anything else to repeat the team's success of 2009. Whether the rest of the team follows his lead and works as hard as he does is another question. That's always the question with a team that wins one year. Can it defend? Do certain players get content with winning once? That's why the "Core Four" is so important as they get older. They're going to set an example this coming season.

The Yankees as a franchise have a history of stringing pennants and WS titles together. The 1996-2001 teams were twice as successful as the 1976-81 teams that won five pennants and two WS. Can the 2009-? Yankees do something similar? It probably all depends on the health of the starting pitchers and whether there is enough depth to fill in when AJ or Pettitte goes down for a spell. It seems like the plan is to lengthen out Joba, Hughes, Aceves and Gaudin during spring training. Those are your 5 through 8 starters as spring training begins. Personally, I'd take Hughes as the No. 6 guy over Wakefield up in Boston.

Should be a tough race in the East with Tampa Bay improving its club, both from within and without. Boston's additions should be beneficial, too. The Yankees might be weaker offensively without Damon, although A-Rod should do better than 30 HRs and 100 RBI this season. Teix could be better, too. Posada may slide at his age and Nick Johnson is a risk as the DH but there are plenty of options if he gets injured again, as is his history.

YHinNJ 

• A Greenville
  • Pip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

I think the Jeter contract will be very interesting. I am not a Jeterite, while a great player I believe he's got some me issues. He absolutely threw A- Rod under the bus when he arrived. "The Captain" moves to third to improve the ballclub and welcomes him to the club, which isn't quite what played out.
It will be intersting to see what he wants/gets. Does it start at; " I want more than A-Rod " ? That would be another faboulous instance of leading by example. Oh wait, that's how everyone gets to be a Yankee.

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

View PostYHinNJ, on 10 February 2010 - 12:19 PM, said:

I think the Jeter contract will be very interesting. I am not a Jeterite, while a great player I believe he's got some me issues. He absolutely threw A- Rod under the bus when he arrived. "The Captain" moves to third to improve the ballclub and welcomes him to the club, which isn't quite what played out.
It will be intersting to see what he wants/gets. Does it start at; " I want more than A-Rod " ? That would be another faboulous instance of leading by example. Oh wait, that's how everyone gets to be a Yankee.

Jeter never said he would move to third. That was something the media and baseball "experts" expected to happen. It didn't. Jeter was the incumbent. Why should he move?

You're right about comparing his contract demands to what the Yankees gave A-Rod. There are many bonuses in A-Rod's contract for historic milestones. Jeter already broke the team record for hits last season. Will there be a clause for 4,000 career hits? I would think so. And Jeter will probably ask for $25M annually for five years. The Yankees can afford to reward one of the greatest players in their franchise history, a guy who has never tainted his uniform in 15 years on the job.

The Yankees do that. They reward their veterans and keep them around. Eventually it will blow up on them, the way it did with the Celtics and their original Big Three. The trick is to add young players to the mix. They've added a few in recent years and Jesus Montero/Austin Romine are a couple of years away from replacing Posada, who will not be re-signed after the 2011 season.

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 11:40 AM, said:

Did I mention Jeter's into his second week of personal spring training already? Last year, he made his many critics look stupid by having a solid season playing shortstop for a championship team.

Jeter leads by example.

And on a rerun of CSI-NY last night, Jeter, or at least a bobblehead figurine in his image, was integral in the arrest and prosecution of the bad guy.

He really can do everything, on and off the baseball diamond.

ghostoffoxx 

• That's Protestant whiskey!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 12:33 PM, said:

Jeter never said he would move to third. That was something the media and baseball "experts" expected to happen. It didn't. Jeter was the incumbent. Why should he move?

Because he was the second best shortstop on the team. It would have been better for the Yankees as a team to have had him move over to third where Jeter's lack of range would have been minimized, but I'm not going to complain.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

View Postghostoffoxx, on 10 February 2010 - 01:12 PM, said:

Because he was the second best shortstop on the team. It would have been better for the Yankees as a team to have had him move over to third where Jeter's lack of range would have been minimized, but I'm not going to complain.

I agree completely....I mention Jeter's selfishness every Thanksgiving. I am of the opinion that the mfy's might have won another WS or two had he moved to third.

This post has been edited by coloradojack: 10 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

View Postcoloradojack, on 10 February 2010 - 02:08 PM, said:

I agree completely....I mention Jeter's selfishness every Thanksgiving. I am of the opinion that the mfy's might have won another WS or two had he moved to third.

Lack of starting pitching lost the Yankees two or three WS chances since 2004. Torre said that in his book. We all saw it in Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. They had nobody left who was healthy or good. Same thing happened in 2005 and 2007.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 02:25 PM, said:

Lack of starting pitching lost the Yankees two or three WS chances since 2004. Torre said that in his book. We all saw it in Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. They had nobody left who was healthy or good. Same thing happened in 2005 and 2007.

Torre just doesn't have the sack to question Jeter. Not if he ever wanted to visit in New York again.

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

View Postcoloradojack, on 10 February 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

Torre just doesn't have the sack to question Jeter. Not if he ever wanted to visit in New York again.

Jeter is no more important to the Yankees than Yaz was to the Red Sox. He's just a star player who never went away. Torre's legacy to the Yankees is the same as Casey Stengel's. Both managed 12 years in pinstripes, both managed elsewhere before the Yankees and after the Yankees. There were hard feelings when Casey got fired. Same with Torre, who essentially was fired. Life goes on.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 05:53 PM, said:

Jeter is no more important to the Yankees than Yaz was to the Red Sox. He's just a star player who never went away. Torre's legacy to the Yankees is the same as Casey Stengel's. Both managed 12 years in pinstripes, both managed elsewhere before the Yankees and after the Yankees. There were hard feelings when Casey got fired. Same with Torre, who essentially was fired. Life goes on.

the best shortstop on the yankess plays third base. how does that help the club?

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

View Postcoloradojack, on 10 February 2010 - 07:01 PM, said:

the best shortstop on the yankess plays third base. how does that help the club?

You keep thinking back to the thinner A-Rod of the Seattle days. He was a great shortstop. The guy who went to Texas began to bulk up, for some reason, during his three years there. He got pretty big for a shortstop, pretty thick. Have you ever seen him close up? The guy is as big as a linebacker. He lost a little weight, for some reason, last year.

My point is, when A-Rod made his deal with the devil, he regressed as a defensive player. He got too big to play shortstop by the 2005 season. He's hardly a range machine at third base.

All of this has nothing to do with Jeter. You can demean his defensive skills if you want. I'm just saying A-Rod is too big to play shortstop. If he did it for a season, the UZR people would kill him the same way they killed Jeter.

#12 User is online  
rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 07:28 PM, said:

You keep thinking back to the thinner A-Rod of the Seattle days. He was a great shortstop. The guy who went to Texas began to bulk up, for some reason, during his three years there. He got pretty big for a shortstop, pretty thick. Have you ever seen him close up? The guy is as big as a linebacker. He lost a little weight, for some reason, last year.

My point is, when A-Rod made his deal with the devil, he regressed as a defensive player. He got too big to play shortstop by the 2005 season. He's hardly a range machine at third base.

1. At this point, I would agree with you. I think Jeter probably actually is the best shortstop on the Yankees, or at least better than A-Rod. But I don't think that was the case when A-Rod first got to New York.

2. What goes into having good range at 3B isn't strictly the same as what goes into having good range at SS. There's overlap, of course, and I'm sure some of the same factors that would make A-Rod less effective at SS now Ė bigger frame, purse, etc. Ė also contribute to his lack of range at 3B. But I think third base is the biggest factor in A-Rod's struggles at third base. He doesn't react to batted balls like a natural third baseman. He's much more comfortable there than in his first couple of years at the position. But he's still not fluid.

Also, he's kind of a douche. But that might be secondary here.

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

View Postrominer, on 10 February 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

1. At this point, I would agree with you. I think Jeter probably actually is the best shortstop on the Yankees, or at least better than A-Rod. But I don't think that was the case when A-Rod first got to New York.

2. What goes into having good range at 3B isn't strictly the same as what goes into having good range at SS. There's overlap, of course, and I'm sure some of the same factors that would make A-Rod less effective at SS now Ė bigger frame, purse, etc. Ė also contribute to his lack of range at 3B. But I think third base is the biggest factor in A-Rod's struggles at third base. He doesn't react to batted balls like a natural third baseman. He's much more comfortable there than in his first couple of years at the position. But he's still not fluid.

Also, he's kind of a douche. But that might be secondary here.

Funny thing is, A-Rod worked his ass off that first season with Larry Bowa and really played well at third base. He got worse, though, as time went on. Developed a throwing problem that pissed Mussina off more than once. And, he doesn't have those great "twitch" instincts that guys like Mike Lowell used to have and Beltre has now. It's a reaction position on many plays.

Pretty much the same thing you said. :rolleyes:

p.s. -- except for this. beltre's UZR last season was 14.3. a-rod checked in at -8.6. Jeter was 6.6.

This post has been edited by jackson: 10 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 07:28 PM, said:

You keep thinking back to the thinner A-Rod of the Seattle days.

not quite that far back....more like when he first arrived in NY but it doesn't matter, i think it may have cost the yankees a post season game or two and you disagree. from my perspective, i'm very happy he played shortstop.

personally, i hope jeter continues at ss for the mfy for many, many years to come....i really hope they sign him for another 10 years at 250 million. it is only fair.

here's a discussion they recently had over at LoHud about Jeter being the greatest yankee of all time. have fun.

This post has been edited by coloradojack: 10 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

jackson 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

View Postcoloradojack, on 10 February 2010 - 08:59 PM, said:

not quite that far back....more like when he first arrived in NY but it doesn't matter, i think it may have cost the yankees a post season game or two and you disagree. from my perspective, i'm very happy he played shortstop.

personally, i hope jeter continues at ss for the mfy for many, many years to come....i really hope they sign him for another 10 years at 250 million. it is only fair.

here's a discussion they recently had over at LoHud about Jeter being the greatest yankee of all time. have fun.

Sorry, I don't read Yankee fans blogs. They make me puke.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 09:35 PM, said:

Sorry, I don't read Yankee fans blogs. They make me puke.

it is good stuff....high unintentional comedy levels.

#17 User is online  
BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

View Postcoloradojack, on 10 February 2010 - 09:42 PM, said:

it is good stuff....high unintentional comedy levels.

Yeah, but reading the comments of the Yankee fans putting the writer in his place is a bit of a let down. It would be funnier if they agreed.

This post has been edited by BigSlick: 10 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

StuckInChiTown 

• 40 Man Roster
  • Group: Visitor from Evil Empire

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

View Postcoloradojack, on 10 February 2010 - 02:08 PM, said:

I am of the opinion that the mfy's might have won another WS or two had he moved to third.

Thatís interesting. Here I thought the reason Arod had 1 postseason hit in 2006 and 2 hits in 2005 was because his didnít have any hair on his balls. All the while it was because he was standing on 3b instead of ss.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

View PostStuckInChiTown, on 11 February 2010 - 10:16 AM, said:

Thatís interesting. Here I thought the reason Arod had 1 postseason hit in 2006 and 2 hits in 2005 was because his didnít have any hair on his balls. All the while it was because he was standing on 3b instead of ss.

works for me either way...

YHinNJ 

• A Greenville
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

View Postjackson, on 10 February 2010 - 12:33 PM, said:

The Yankees do that. They reward their veterans and keep them around. Eventually it will blow up on them, the way it did with the Celtics and their original Big Three. The trick is to add young players to the mix. They've added a few in recent years and Jesus Montero/Austin Romine are a couple of years away from replacing Posada, who will not be re-signed after the 2011 season.

Bernie Williams and Johnny Damon say hell-o. Also, if Jorge wants to stay after 2011, where is his Yankee love ?

I truly believe Captain Intangables will look to get the biggest Yankee contract of all time. Even if it is only for one year amid a 5 year deal, Jeter wants and feels he deserves the respect. Pro's keep score with money.

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users