• You cannot reply to this topic

Kendry Morales Hits a Cart Off Grand Slam
Not a typo.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

He hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th to win te game and broke his ankle in the celebration afterward.

I've actually worried that this would happen in one of the Sox celebrations. Hopefully they tone them down from now on.

http://sports.espn.g...ameId=300529103

This post has been edited by BigSlick: 29 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

I have worried that someone was going to get flattened by Big Papi diving into a pig pile at home plate a couple times. It was bound to happen to someone.

Red Sox Fan2 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Freak accidents happen. No need to change any rules and make the game less fun because one guy broke his ankle. Gabe Kapler had a career threatening injury on a homerun trot. Should the league review the necessity of having to round the bags if you're guaranteed to score anyway? The answer is no.

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

Morales injury is due to two factors, and both are equally responsible. Take away either one and he's not on the DL.
The first is when he made the final leap onto home plate he landed on one foot, instead of two. A lot of times you'll see a guy jump and land on both feet (think Jeter's Mr. November home run). Morales approached home plate like a hurdler approaches a gate.
The second is all his teammates were crowded - I mean really crowded - around home plate. As Morales made his final leap, it looks as if Eric Aybar, Izturis and Erving Santana to name a few are right there. Mid-leap, Santana appears to jump and pull Morales down. It's not beyond imagination to think Moralas landed with all of his weight on one leg right on top of someone else's foot, causing him to f*ck up his leg. It happens in the NBA all the time.

The lift off

The landing

Anaheim, we have a problem. (His broken foot can be seen twisted in a weird angle here.)

Scocia was quoted in the paper saying something like 'obviously we'll have to change the way we celebrate at home plate.' Obviously. Having everyone keep back off the from plate until the batter arrives might be a good place start.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

I found it funny that they won on another walk off the next day and everyone was clear of home plate.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users