Royal Rooters: Junior joins the senior circuit - Royal Rooters

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Junior joins the senior circuit
Not the NL. I mean, he retired. Now he can play in old timers' games.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

I think he was an important enough player to warrant his own thread that gets 3 responses before fading into oblivion.

http://sports.yahoo....griffeyretiring

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Probably the best player of his era when he was in his prime. It's too bad that he couldn't go out "on top". You've got to wonder what his record would have been if he hadn't been hurt so much when he played for the Reds. He's a lock for the first ballot.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

He'll always be tainted by the era he played in, but there are only two star players that I believe were 100% clean over the last 25 years, Pedro and Junior.

ghostoffoxx 

• That's Protestant whiskey!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

I second Anni's thoughts. Junior had the most beautiful swing I have ever seen. The "What ifs" of Junior's career if he could have stayed healthy are staggering to contemplate.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

View Postghostoffoxx, on 02 June 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

I second Anni's thoughts. Junior had the most beautiful swing I have ever seen. The "What ifs" of Junior's career if he could have stayed healthy are staggering to contemplate.

If you extrapolate it, or at least if I extrapolate it using my own proprietary formula, he would have hit 778 home runs if he had played as many games as Hank Aaron.

On the other hand, Babe Ruth would have hit 941. And I totally forgot that Barry Bonds is actually the record holder. He would have hit 842 in that number of games, assuming an even mix of pre- and post-steroid games.

But take away the "what ifs," and Griffey could have retired when Seattle traded him to the Reds, and he still would have been a Hall of Famer. Through age 29 (his last year in his original Seattle stint): .299/.380/.569/.948 with 398 HR, 1,152 RBI, 1,062 runs scored, and 10 Gold Gloves for whatever those are worth. And even that is with a couple of injury plagued seasons.

Part of it is timing, of course...but I don't ever remember seeing/feeling the kind of excitement over an opposing player (at least one who had never played for the Red Sox) as there was the first time I saw Griffey at Fenway. Just awesome.

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

The first time I saw Griffey play at Fenway he faced Pedro Martinez - in 1999. It was the perfect matchup! Griffey had some wild swings against Pedro, and, although he didn't strike out, he couldn't hit anything out of the infield.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users