• You cannot reply to this topic

The Umpire thread
Mistakes will always happen, but some are worse than others

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

There was a call in last nights Phillies/Marlins that may have been the worst call of the season, and that's saying something.

Game tied in the bottom of the 9th. Two guys on base for Florida, Gabby Sanchez hits a bouncing ball down the 3rd base line. It is in the air as it passes 3rd base and although it looked like it was still fair, the umpire ruled it foul.

Here's the catch though, the balls next bounce was fair by a few inches. It was clearly a blown call, but this is what the umpire said about it after the game...

"I was right on top of it, and it was wide of the bag," he said. "What the ball did when it went past me is irrelevant. ... I understand that's the winning run, but in my opinion it was foul."

I believe what he's trying to say is that the ball took the same trajectory as the bullet that hit Governor Connelly and the loogy that hit Kramer.

This post has been edited by BigSlick: 06 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

View PostBigSlick, on 06 August 2010 - 08:19 AM, said:

There was a call in last nights Phillies/Marlins that may have been the worst call of the season, and that's saying something.

Game tied in the bottom of the 9th. Two guys on base for Florida, Gabby Sanchez hits a bouncing ball down the 3rd base line. It is in the air as it passes 3rd base and although it looked like it was still fair, the umpire ruled it foul.

Here's the catch though, the balls next bounce was fair by a few inches. It was clearly a blown call, but this is what the umpire said about it after the game...

I don't know what was worse, the call or his arrogance afterward. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was speaking w/o seeing the replay. If he had, I think he would have been a little more humble. And as for his position that what happens after the ball passes is "irrelevant," that's just wrong. A grounder that passes the bag in foul territory is not officially foul until it touches the ground. Whether this one "curved" around the bag or he missed it, what is inescapable it the ball landed fair w/o ever touching the ground in foul territory. That's a fair ball and it should have been a game winning double for the fish in the bottom of the 9th.
He blew the call and cost the Marlins the game. He should man up and admit it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users