Tek gone?
Sounds like Tito's dropping a hint

Cambridge 

• Front Office
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

View PostRed Sox Fan2, on 14 October 2010 - 10:06 PM, said:

Still don't understand the trade. Ramon Mendez and Chris McGuiness > Jarrod saltsdgsmgwkgawrgjewrharhaerthjedhfadfsgcchia.

I understand it. They traded two marginal prospects [yes, I know about Mendez's theoretical ceiling]for someone they think might be the answer behind the plate -- a position that is not so easy to fill. Whether he becomes that remains to be seen, but it is obviously far easier to find live bullpen arms than catchers who can swing a bat.

As for Varitek, I expect him to be back. Saltalamacchia signing a non-guaranteed contract seems to point to that.

#22 User is online  
rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

View PostManny, on 15 October 2010 - 12:19 PM, said:

I see what you did there.

Was it intentional? I think the quality of his spelling there was roughly in line with the quality his spelling of other words.

View PostCambridge, on 15 October 2010 - 01:27 PM, said:

As for Varitek, I expect him to be back. Saltalamacchia signing a non-guaranteed contract seems to point to that.

I don't know that it points to anything specific about who the (other) catchers are going to be, but I think it does at least point to the idea that the Saltalamacchia acquisition was exactly what Theo said it was (and what those who aren't adherents to the Church of Mazz could have figured for themselves): A low-risk move for a high-upside player, with minimal commitment involved.

The worst case scenario is that Salty is additional organizational depth and insurance against the possibility that Martinez moves on. The best case scenario is that he's able to become the player people thought he would be four years ago. Scenarios in between make him more or less the 2011 version of Jeremy Hermida. If it works, great. If not, there's no great loss in cutting ties.

I don't know who the next catcher(s) to sign with the Sox will be...but I would hope signing Saltalamacchia to be the baseball equivalent of "practice squad offensive lineman" might shut up some of the people who misinterpreted the reasons for making that trade in the first place.

Probably not.

Bozzs 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

I would say at this point hearing the predictions of Vmart signing a big deal in Detroit I would say that Vtek looks to be part of the sox future until Salty becomes a fixture behind the plate.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

View PostBozzs, on 03 November 2010 - 12:29 PM, said:

I would say at this point hearing the predictions of Vmart signing a big deal in Detroit I would say that Vtek looks to be part of the sox future until Salty becomes a fixture behind the plate.

If VMart is gone (and I think he is, since Theo doesn't view him as a C), then we certainly have better options on the FA market than Varitek. John Buck for one, I'd gladly overpay for 2 years for him to platoon with Salty than watch Varitek struggle to cross the Mendoza line.

Oh, and for all the people who are crying about Tek's ability to help young catchers with receiving or game calling - that's the job of the coaches (ever hear of Gary Tuck anyone?).

JMDurron 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

View PostKid T, on 05 November 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

If VMart is gone (and I think he is, since Theo doesn't view him as a C), then we certainly have better options on the FA market than Varitek. John Buck for one, I'd gladly overpay for 2 years for him to platoon with Salty than watch Varitek struggle to cross the Mendoza line.

Oh, and for all the people who are crying about Tek's ability to help young catchers with receiving or game calling - that's the job of the coaches (ever hear of Gary Tuck anyone?).

Salty reportedly has a very good defensive repuation, so he might actually be Varitek's replacement on that front. That leaves the Buck/Olivo types as potential acquisitions for the rest of the catching duties. I'll miss Victor's bat, but every dollar not spent on him is a dollar potentially spent on retaining Adrian Beltre, and I prefer that allocation of resources.

This post has been edited by JMDurron: 08 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

View PostJMDurron, on 08 November 2010 - 09:44 AM, said:

Salty reportedly has a very good defensive repuation, so he might actually be Varitek's replacement on that front. That leaves the Buck/Olivo types as potential acquisitions for the rest of the catching duties. I'll miss Victor's bat, but every dollar not spent on him is a dollar potentially spent on retaining Adrian Beltre, and I prefer that allocation of resources.

I think you're mistaking Salty with Taylor Teagarden. Regardless, I'm not sure that Theo will want to (over)pay for Beltre. I suspect we will see Youkilis slide to 3B, and a bridge type at 1B (Konerko on a 2 year deal?) in anticipation of Adrian Gonzalez (with Prince Fielder as a fall back option) in FA next offseason.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users