The Writers get it right for a change
King Felix Wins CYA

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

King Felix! Seattle ace Hernandez wins AL Cy Young

And Pedro should have won in 2002! Finally, the writers figure it out. It isn't the guy with the most wins!

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

View PostRedSoxAnni, on 18 November 2010 - 03:56 PM, said:

King Felix! Seattle ace Hernandez wins AL Cy Young

And Pedro should have won in 2002! Finally, the writers figure it out. It isn't the guy with the most wins!

That's 3 of the last 4 Cy winners who did not lead the league in wins or for that matter cross the 20-win threshold. Lincecum and Grienke won it last year with 15 and 16 wins, respectively. Halliday was the exception this year in the NL but he was so dominant, he deserved to win, no question.

I was thinking about what this means as I watched the expert baseball people on ESPN wrestling to come up with an explanation for Felix over Sabathia. They were all of the opinion that baseball writers have finally come around to saber-metric thinking as opposed to just looking at wins, ERA and strikeouts, etc.
I think it's a little more complicated than that and has to do with the groundswell of change in the newspaper industry, which fills up the bulk of the Baseball Writers Association. Between layoffs, buyouts and early retirements, I'd have to reckon that a lot of the old-guard voters, for whom wins, ERA and K's were everything, are not there any more, and the people in their place are younger and more receptive to other criteria for measuring pitching success.
Simply put, the traditional writers didn't figure anything out; they're just not there anymore and a younger crowd is in their place.
Anyone but that fat bastard in the Bronx is OK with me, tho.

roidrage 

• Nose Goblin Collector
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Murray Chass started his crying even before the decision was announced:

The Seattle right-hander had the league’s lowest earned run average, 2.27; the lowest opposing batting average, .212; the most innings pitched, 249 1/3, and missed by two of having the most strikeouts (232). What he didn’t have was wins. When he won his last start of the season, he finished above .500 at 13-12.

Just a few years ago a pitcher with a 13-12 record would never have been considered for the Cy Young award. But last year Zack Greinke won the A,L, award with 16 victories and Tim Lincecum won his second straight National League award with 15 wins.

The development, I believe, is directly related to the growing influence of the new-fangled statistics which readers of this site know I have no use for, a fact that sends stats-freak denizens of the blogosphere into a stats-freak frenzy.

Same old stuff from Murray. Except this, later in the article:

If Hernandez doesn’t win the Cy Young award, I suspect the metric men will come out in critical force. But to me, this is the wrong year for Hernandez, I think he’s the best pitcher in the league, and I think he should have won the award last year. But not this year, not with 13 wins, whatever his other statistics, whatever his run support.

Ummmmm, OK. Murray, you really are an ass.

And, today was the first time I had read "About" his blog - oops, I mean, online column. If you haven't had the pleasure, let me make your day:

This is a site for baseball columns, not for baseball blogs. The proprietor of the site is not a fan of blogs. He made that abundantly clear on a radio show with Charley Steiner when Steiner asked him what he thought of blogs and he replied, “I hate blogs.” He later heartily applauded Buzz Bissinger when the best-selling author denounced bloggers on a Bob Costas HBO show.

Bloggers, however, are welcome to visit this site; so are stats freaks, fantasy leaguers and Red Sox fans. How else will they know what is being said about them by a columnist they love to hate?

Otherwise, this site will most likely appeal primarily to older fans whose interest in good old baseball is largely ignored in this day of young bloggers who know it all, and new- fangled statistics (VORP, for one excuse-me example), which are drowning the game in numbers and making people forget that human beings, not numbers, play the games.

Murray Chass, who created this site, will do the column writing but will invite others to join him, the others being long-time columnists for daily newspapers who no longer work for newspapers. If you have a favorite columnist who is no longer actively writing and would like to be able to read his work again, please send a note and he or she will be invited to join the site.

E-mail comments are also invited, but visitors to the site are asked to omit the obscenities.

“I have spent my professional life in the print world, where obscenities don’t see the light of day,” Chass said. “They will remain in the dark here as well. It will be a good test for bloggers and Red Sox fans to see if they can control themselves.”

In addition, Chass noted that some of his grandchildren will likely visit the site, and they hear enough profanity in school without needing to read it here.

It seems Murray thinks only Red Sox fans are capable of cursing. Sure, we do have skills in cursing arena. But apparently, he's never been over to NoMaas or NYYfans.

So, in short Murray, **** wins, **** saves, **** you, and **** your shitty ****ing blog--shit, I did it again--shitty ****ing online column.

You know what, no. **** that. Its a ****ing blog, ****face.

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

View Postroidrage, on 18 November 2010 - 08:10 PM, said:

Murray Chass started his crying even before the decision was announced:

Same old stuff from Murray. Except this, later in the article:

Ummmmm, OK. Murray, you really are an ass.

And, today was the first time I had read "About" his blog - oops, I mean, online column. If you haven't had the pleasure, let me make your day:

It seems Murray thinks only Red Sox fans are capable of cursing. Sure, we do have skills in cursing arena. But apparently, he's never been over to NoMaas or NYYfans.

So, in short Murray, **** wins, **** saves, **** you, and **** your shitty ****ing blog--shit, I did it again--shitty ****ing online column.

You know what, no. **** that. Its a ****ing blog, ****face.

Murray Chass is exactly who I had in mind with my post. He's a longtime journalist who accepted a buy-out from his employer to go away as a cost-cutting move. There are thousands of people at newspapers across the country who made the same move. Is he still in the BBWA?

Murray Chass was a staple of The New York Times’ sports section for almost 40 years. With the state of the newspaper industry currently in flux, he was one of more than 100 staff members of the august publication to receive a buyout.

“Basically what they were trying to do — like so many baseball teams — is shed payroll,” said Chass in a phone interview with NJ Jewish News from a recent vacation in Cape May.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Glenn Beck is the Murray Chass of political reporting.

#6 User is online  
rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

You've been missing out. Now you understand how that little essay managed to become a first ballot entry into the Unintentional Comedy Hall of Fame.

It's right up there with that time Bush dodged those flying shoes.*

*Not a political statement. That was just awesome whether you love the guy or hate him.Great stuff.

BlackJack 

• idiom cop
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

In order to avoid disturbing Murry's sensibilities the Cy Young award will only be given to pitchers named "Cy Young" from now on.

This post has been edited by BlackJack: 19 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

snip

One of the things I found most amusing is that he actually cites a bunch of "traditional" stats to highlight King Felix's performance (ERA, opp BA, and K's). His "argument" boils down to his dislike on the lack of emphasis on one traditional stat (wins) over the other traditional stats. He doesn't mention any of the "new-fangled statistics" which goes to show he doesn't understand them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users