• You cannot reply to this topic

Welcome to Boston A-Gone !
Spring debut, March 12

Bozzs 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

Adrian Gonzalez - SDThe Red Sox and Padres have agreed to a deal that will send Adrian Gonzalez to Boston, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.
Olney says the players have been agreed to and Gonzalez needs only to pass a physical, which isn't a guarantee given that he's coming off shoulder surgery. Boston has also been granted a window to negotiate with A-Gone on a new contract. It's been previously reported that the Pads would receive a package of minor league prospects in the deal. The North County Times' Dan Hayes says right-hander Casey Kelly "would definitely be involved" in the deal. Executives have speculated that shortstop Jose Iglesias would likely also be part of the package, and first baseman Anthony Rizzo would make sense, as well. Gonzalez will be a fantastic fit in Boston with his opposite field power. This means Adrian Beltre is no longer a possibility for the Sox, as Kevin Youkilis will move over to third base.

This post has been edited by Bozzs: 05 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

View PostBozzs, on 04 December 2010 - 09:45 AM, said:

Adrian Gonzalez - SDThe Red Sox and Padres have agreed to a deal that will send Adrian Gonzalez to Boston, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

While I am anxious to see which prospects are included in this deal, unless Heidi Watney is included this is a great trade on many levels. Given the fact the Sox will likely get 4 draft picks from the loss of Martinez and Beltre, they are in a position to replenish the farm system pretty quickly. My hope is that Kalish and Inglesias are not included but either way, I am a happy little Red Sox fan this morning.

EDIT - SI's Jon Heyman is reporting the package will be Kelly, Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes. If this is accurate Theo has pulled off a tremendous deal.

This post has been edited by The Ghost of Ned Martin: 04 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

View PostBozzs, on 04 December 2010 - 09:45 AM, said:

Olney says the players have been agreed to and Gonzalez needs only to pass a physical, which isn't a guarantee given that he's coming off shoulder surgery. Boston has also been granted a window to negotiate with A-Gone on a new contract. It's been previously reported that the Pads would receive a package of minor league prospects in the deal. The North County Times' Dan Hayes says right-hander Casey Kelly "would definitely be involved" in the deal. Executives have speculated that shortstop Jose Iglesias would likely also be part of the package, and first baseman Anthony Rizzo would make sense, as well. Gonzalez will be a fantastic fit in Boston with his opposite field power. This means Adrian Beltre is no longer a possibility for the Sox, as Kevin Youkilis will move over to third base.

Holy sh*t. What a pleasant surprise! And without giving up anyone from the major league roster is even better.
This came out of nowhere. All I heard about the Red Sox Friday was how they made an offer on Mariano Rivera, who they had no chance of landing. IN retrospect, it was a classic misdirection to get this deal done.

Gonzalez has averaged a .288 mark, 32 homers and 100 RBIs in five years in San Diego, where half his games are played in spacious, pitcher-friendly Petco Park. His career OPS at home is .800. It is .943 on the road. If trends hold true this is potentially a monster presence in the middle of the Red Sox’ lineup for years to come, a la Manny Ramirez when he came in 2003 and helped alter the franchise’s path.
-- AP story

Speaking of to come, I think I just ejaculated.

This post has been edited by yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone: 04 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Santoshalper 

• Dirt Dog
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

Mannnnnn, I don't know what to say. I am sorry I won't get to see Kelly pitch in Boston, but then again life can only get easier for him in San Diego.

BTW - I'M FRIGGIN' ECSTATIC!!!!!

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

View PostThe Ghost of Ned Martin, on 04 December 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

EDIT - SI's Jon Heyman is reporting the package will be Kelly, Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes. If this is accurate Theo has pulled off a tremendous deal.

Plus a PTBNL. This is a huge deal if they are able to keep Kalish and Iglesias. Well played, Red Sox front office.

acr 

• Clay Buchholz stole my laptop
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

What a major coup.

Kelly is a great prospect and all, but we have four starters under long-term contracts already, and a hitter like Gonzalez is more valuable to this team than another starter for the next 7 years

Rizzo would've been blocked by Gonzalez anyway, positionally it's a lateral move, and Adrian is better now than Rizzo ever will be.

The amazing thing is he got them to take Fuentes instead of a Kalish or Iglesias. Those prospects can all be replaced by the draft picks we're getting for Martinez and Beltre. Can't praise this one enough, there is literally nothing to complain about. If we can pick up Werth now and retool the bullpen, we've gotta be amongst the favorites for the next few years. I'm looking forward to seeing many A-Bombs from A-Gon.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

View PostThe Ghost of Ned Martin, on 04 December 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

That's 3 of some of the highly regarded prospects in the Red Sox farm system. Fuentes has been compared to Beltran (maybe because they're cousins), but he still needs to develop power. If two of these three players reach their potential, then San Diego got a pretty good deal. Right now, however, they're all still prospects, so who the hell knows how they'll pan out. Hoyer and Byrnes know the Red Sox farm system, so they know more of what they're getting with these players whereas it would have been a bit different if they traded A-Gon to a different team.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

View PostHail Cesar, on 04 December 2010 - 01:11 PM, said:

That's 3 of some of the highly regarded prospects in the Red Sox farm system. Fuentes has been compared to Beltran (maybe because they're cousins), but he still needs to develop power. If two of these three players reach their potential, then San Diego got a pretty good deal. Right now, however, they're all still prospects, so who the hell knows how they'll pan out. Hoyer and Byrnes know the Red Sox farm system, so they know more of what they're getting with these players whereas it would have been a bit different if they traded A-Gon to a different team.

Yes I am aware of how highly ranked these three prospects are. I also know that only one player involved in this deal is a proven MLB level superstar who is only 28 years old. That said, I think each side did well on this deal. Hoyer gets three top prospects who are cost controlled for years to come. The Sox got one of the top 5 hitters in MLB.

Win/Win

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

I have really mixed feelings about this. While I love Gonzalez, I feel like we are giving up quite a bit for a one year rental. I know the deal is contingent upon AGon signing an extension, but I am of the mindset that he would have signed here as a free agent next offseason. If we were getting 2 years....I would feel better about it.

I guess I am one of those people who overvalue young pitching. I would gladly have allowed Hoyer to substitute any 2 players in the minor league system not named Renaudo and Iglesias for Kelly. I understand that this rotation has been set for the next few years, but injuries happen. And I think I'd rather see the likes of a Casey Kelly coming into that spot than Michael Bowden (no offense to Bowden fans) or some other major league retread (Sergio Mitre type).

That having been said, I look forward to AGon putting up some ridiculous numbers in the middle of the Sox lineup for years to come.

This post has been edited by Kid T: 04 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

roidrage 

• Nose Goblin Collector
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

View PostKid T, on 04 December 2010 - 01:45 PM, said:

I have really mixed feelings about this. While I love Gonzalez, I feel like we are giving up quite a bit for a one year rental. I know the deal is contingent upon AGon signing an extension, but I am of the mindset that he would have signed here as a free agent next offseason. If we were getting 2 years....I would feel better about it.

I guess I am one of those people who overvalue young pitching. I would gladly have allowed Hoyer to substitute any 2 players in the minor league system not named Renaudo and Iglesias for Kelly. I understand that this rotation has been set for the next few years, but injuries happen. And I think I'd rather see the likes of a Casey Kelly coming into that spot than Michael Bowden (no offense to Bowden fans) or some other major league retread (Sergio Mitre type).

That having been said, I look forward to AGon putting up some ridiculous numbers in the middle of the Sox lineup for years to come.

Perhaps he would have signed here as a FA anyway, but by signing him to an extension this way and buying out an arb year, he will probably cost less (albeit still a lot for sure) both in terms of AAV and total years than if he was on the open market, and you still have him for his peak years.

Bozzs 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Supposedly the sox have until 2pm tomorrow to get an extension done,from Heyman.
Read somewhere he was looking for Howard money and A Gon is 2 yrs younger and frankly alot better..
so 8 yrs 160 million ish

This post has been edited by Bozzs: 04 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

VASoxFan38 

• 40 Man Roster
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

LOVE this deal! Surprised both my friends and myself as I was studying for finals.

Pay the man, Theo!

Welcome to Boston A-Gone!

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

Fangraphs ran an interesting article this morning about Adrian Gonzalez. They ran a baseball-reference tool that adjusts the slash line for league neutral environments and again for playing in Boston. We all know that Gonzalez put up some great numbers in what is considered to be an extreme non-hitter friendly park. Here are how his numbers from the last three years look adjusted for the NL neutral environment and again for Boston.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/AGoneBoston2.jpg

The article doesn't mention how many of David Ortiz's babies he would have had.

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

View PostMike LansWho, on 05 December 2010 - 07:59 AM, said:

Fangraphs ran an interesting article this morning about Adrian Gonzalez. They ran a baseball-reference tool that adjusts the slash line for league neutral environments and again for playing in Boston. We all know that Gonzalez put up some great numbers in what is considered to be an extreme non-hitter friendly park. Here are how his numbers from the last three years look adjusted for the NL neutral environment and again for Boston.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/AGoneBoston2.jpg

The article doesn't mention how many of David Ortiz's babies he would have had.

He's going to have a monster year at Fenway. If you look at his hit chart, he hits to all fields more than I thought. Many of his flyball outs are to left and left center, and it stands to reason that many of those will be off the wall (or over it) at Fenway compared to spacious Petco. He hit 12 doubles at home last year, and just by eyeballing it, it looks as if at least 8 of them would have been homeruns at Fenway. As for his homeruns, providing the Red Sox don't play any games at Yellowstone Park, there's no problem there.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Okay, so what the hell I going on? It seems like an impasse is brewing where A-Gon doesn't want to talk an extension unless it happens now and the Red Sox don't want to do the deal unless they can get an extension. A-Gon's at least a $20 million per year player. The hold up has to be the years. Ugh. Guess we'll see in a few minutes.

Bozzs 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

View PostHail Cesar, on 05 December 2010 - 02:02 PM, said:

Okay, so what the hell I going on? It seems like an impasse is brewing where A-Gon doesn't want to talk an extension unless it happens now and the Red Sox don't want to do the deal unless they can get an extension. A-Gon's at least a $20 million per year player. The hold up has to be the years. Ugh. Guess we'll see in a few minutes.

outlets say they are still talking past the deadline ...it would really suck and piss off the fans if this is the ending

acr 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

Theo better not cheap out on this one, I swear to god.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

According to Heyman the deal fell through. So it's another A-Rod as we stand right now. Granted, in hindsight I'm glad the A-Rod deal didn't happen, but I have not heard any negative reports about A-Gon's character.

This is the guy the Red Sox have wanted for so long and now they're just gonna give up?

acr 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

I am so ****ing sick of Theo Epstein. Hopefully Werner and Lucchino force him out again like in 2005.

Bozzs 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

View Postacr, on 05 December 2010 - 02:59 PM, said:

I am so ****ing sick of Theo Epstein. Hopefully Werner and Lucchino force him out again like in 2005.

Wow this sucks.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users