What a rotation say Phillies to thee.

Sox Sweep Again 

• Mountain zoned.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels, Lee.

Palmer, Cuellar, McNally, Dobson? Link.

"... Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels and Lee each had a WAR of 4.3 or better this past season, according to Baseball-Reference.com. Only three teams in history have had four starters do that in the same year: the 1909 A's (Chief Bender, Eddie Plank, Harry Krause, Cy Morgan), 1967 Reds (Jim Maloney, Gary Nolan, Milt Pappas, Mel Queen) and 1991 Braves (Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Steve Avery, Charlie Leibrandt).

Or if you want to cite another of our favorite sabermetric stats, adjusted ERA-plus, all four Phillies starters hit 130 or better this past season (meaning they were at least 30 percentage points above league average). In the live-ball era, only two teams have had at least four qualifying starters with ERA-plus numbers that good in the same year: the 1942 Tigers (Hal Newhouser, Virgil Trucks, Al Benton, Tommy Bridges, Hal White) and 1997 Braves (Glavine, Smoltz, Greg Maddux, Denny Neagle).

Of the top 10 active pitchers in strikeout-walk ratio, the Phillies now employ three of them: Oswalt (fifth), Halladay (seventh) and Lee (10th). No other team has more than one. And oh by the way, if we lower the innings threshold to 900, Hamels would rank above all three of them...

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

If all of the starters for the Phillies are healthy all year it's going to be a ridiculous season at CBP. I think that a car will be phlipped and lit on fire after every win for one of the big 4 starters. It's the Philly way.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

View PostHail Cesar, on 15 December 2010 - 10:09 AM, said:

If all of the starters for the Phillies are healthy all year it's going to be a ridiculous season at CBP. I think that a car will be phlipped and lit on fire after every win for one of the big 4 starters. It's the Philly way.

A Phillies fan I work with told me this morning that the Phillies are looking to trade with the Giants for Lincecum because they need a 5th starter.

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

They should probably just order the t-shirts now - Philadelphia Phillies 2011 World Series Champions. Cancel the season. Let's just forget that all 4 combined were 7-5 throughout the entire postseason this past year.

MrNewEngland 

• My name is dinosaur and I came here to party.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

If our top 4 all have career years and Dice-K actually becomes the japanese Pedro (remember that?) we will have the top rotation in MLB history.

If.
If.
If.

Gawd I can't wait for Spring Training. I'd settle for truck day.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

View PostMrNewEngland, on 15 December 2010 - 11:38 AM, said:

If our top 4 all have career years and Dice-K actually becomes the japanese Pedro (remember that?)

It's weird how you say this as if you have doubts that it will happen.

Stop being a pussy.

JMDurron 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

Yeah, I keep thinking of how we were talking about the 2010 Red Sox rotation a year ago after the Lackey signing, and look how that turned out. Oswalt and Hamels are as likely to do a faceplant as that whole foursome is to be awesome and healthy, together for over 162 games.

yazgoesbacklooksupitsgone 

• I got it! I got it!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

Great, the fearsome threesome that lost the NLCS to the giants just added a guy who lost two games in the WS. Ooooooooooh.
Anything can happen. That's why they play the games.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

I agree that they should just cancel the season now and not make us waste our time futilely rooting for the Sox to beat them in the World Series. I mean, any team that has both Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia in the starting rotation has to be unbeatable, right? And you know, Cole Hamels has demonstrated that he is a consistent 18-30 game winner and Roy Oswalt has at least 1000 more Innings in him.

And the bullpen? If I need someone coming out of the bullpen with the bases loaded in the 9th inning of World Series Game 7 to protect a slim lead, dammit, I want it to be Brad Lidge.

Done deal. It's over before it even started.

GD Theo should have held onto his prospects and cash until the Omnipotent Foursome retired.

This post has been edited by The Ghost of Ned Martin: 17 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

View PostThe Ghost of Ned Martin, on 17 December 2010 - 03:45 PM, said:

I mean, any team that has both Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia in the starting rotation has to be unbeatable, right?

Good call.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

Lee - Elbow problem by 6/1
Hamels = Zito
Halladay - shoulder issue by mid July
Oswalt - back spasms, hindered all year

I thought we were pessimists around here. You have to think negatively, peeps.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users