• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Buckley Comes out......................

ARZJake 

• AAA Pawtucket
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Move the thread? SBuckley announces he is Gay. I don't know what all must think but and not that this is a baseball topic but my god I'm shocked!

ghostoffoxx 

• That's Protestant whiskey!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

I read that earlier today. I find it interesting specifically because he is a sports reporter. Unsurprisingly, professional sports breed hyper-masculine environments and can lead to uncomfortable tensions. We are all aware of the multiple instances of female reporters being harassed in pro-sports locker rooms. I think this could be very troublesome for Buckley. It isn't a big secret that one of the most frequent taunts hurled in the locker room and on the field are those that question a mans sexuality.

I think there is still a huge stigma and antipathy among pro athletes towards homosexuality. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one openly gay male pro-athlete that is currently playing and I don't think it's because there aren't any gay athletes in the NFL, NHL, NBA, or NBA. And while it is terribly unfortunate and backward thinking, it just isn't okay to be gay in pro sports.

Will this be an issue and cause strain between athletes and Buckley? Maybe. Maybe not, but I wouldn't bet against the latter.

#3 User is online  
rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

View Postghostoffoxx, on 06 January 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

Will this be an issue and cause strain between athletes and Buckley? Maybe. Maybe not, but I wouldn't bet against the latter.

If it does, good.

He's outed himself. Now the athletes who want to cling to their homophobia can out themselves.

And hopefully, the ones who are living in the 21st century can out themselves as not having a problem with it.

Which may in turn lead to some gay athlete who isn't in the WNBA coming out before the year 3000.

That seems ok to me.

#4 User is online  
MrNewEngland 

• My name is dinosaur and I came here to party.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

So am I going to be the first one to make a Jeter joke?

#5 User is online  
rominer 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

View PostMrNewEngland, on 07 January 2011 - 12:05 AM, said:

So am I going to be the first one to make a Jeter joke?

"Jeter is gay" jokes are so 2010.

Whereas, Kobe Bryant anal rape jokes never get old.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

View Postghostoffoxx, on 06 January 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

It isn't a big secret that one of the most frequent taunts hurled in the locker room and on the field are those that question a mans sexuality.

For the most part this is a very liberal board and we use it as an insult here all the time. He's going to get a ton of grief, but hopefully open some eyes as well.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

View PostBigSlick, on 07 January 2011 - 06:55 AM, said:

For the most part this is a very liberal board and we use it as an insult here all the time. He's going to get a ton of grief, but hopefully open some eyes as well.

Buckley was on WEEI yesterday afternoon and seemed to have a pretty healthy attitude towards the "gay," jokes issue. To paraphrase, he said that he understood that jokes are and will be made but he is not offended by them unless they seem malicious. I can tell you that his fellow baseball beat reporters are not surprised by news that he is gay. It has been speculated on for years.

I give him credit for coming out publicly. The reaction from callers on the Big Show yesterday was remarkably supportive and laudatory. Given the knuckle dragging demographic the show seems to attract, it was pretty eye opening to hear caller after caller congratulate him. Others called to assure him that nothing had changed. Before yesterday they considered him a gasbag and now they know he is a gay gasbag. No big deal.

Buckley revealed that Tito Francona, Youk and Schilling had each sent him supportive text messages. I thought that was pretty cool.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

View PostThe Ghost of Ned Martin, on 07 January 2011 - 08:03 AM, said:

Buckley revealed that Tito Francona, Youk and Schilling had each sent him supportive text messages. I thought that was pretty cool.

I'm actually a little surprised by Schilling sending a supportive text message because of his conservative slant. Not that being conservative means you can't be gay and/or support those who are gay, but they usually don't fall together.

Good for Buck having the courage to finally come out. I really can't imagine how hard it is to come out so I won't even try.

You know where homosexuals might dominate in the sports world? In the NFL. Yeah, I said it. I think an all-gay football team would dominate. Hell, it worked for the Romans.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

View PostHail Cesar, on 07 January 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Good for Buck having the courage to finally come out. I really can't imagine how hard it is to come out so I won't even try.

It's ok, really. We'll support you if you find the strength to do it.

(Oh come on, don't tell me the rest of you assholes didn't read his paragraph and think the exact same thing... which goes to the point of this whole thread)

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

I really can't imagine how hard it is and believe me I've tried.

What? Too soon?

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

You know where homosexuals might dominate in the sports world? In the NFL. Yeah, I said it. I think an all-gay football team would dominate. Hell, it worked for the Romans.

Do you think Tom Brady could be gay?

I have a boner.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostBigSlick, on 07 January 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

It's ok, really. We'll support you if you find the strength to do it.

(Oh come on, don't tell me the rest of you assholes didn't read his paragraph and think the exact same thing... which goes to the point of this whole thread)

Like I couldn't see any of the backlash coming? Assholes.

VoteRiceIn 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

I'm actually a little surprised by Schilling sending a supportive text message because of his conservative slant.

'It's a stupid, idiotic comment to make. It's irresponsible. And you know what? It's ignorant'.

Well I'm surprised that Youk texted him because you know, he's from Ohio.

FWIW - Bob Kraft also texted him.

In the NFL. Yeah, I said it. I think an all-gay football team would dominate. Hell, it worked for the Romans.

I'd switch teams for Brady, Bruschi & Seau...wait, scratch Seau, I don't want to get hurt.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

View PostVoteRiceIn, on 07 January 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

FWIW - Bob Kraft also texted him.

Brett Favre texted him a picture of his junk.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

'It's a stupid, idiotic comment to make. It's irresponsible. And you know what? It's ignorant'.

I think you're leaving out a few comments made by Schilling in this same conversation that you referenced that fit in nicely with the whole coming out party.

Talking about Pedro: "He's a great guy. We get along awesome. Because you don't see us playing grab-ass on the field doesn't mean a thing... I've hugged Pedro on the field this year"

More Pedro love: "But...how...I love him. Pedro's an awesome guy.... he's a guy I'd kill for, absolutely"

More interesting Pedro comments: "I don't know if we push each other.... You get here doing things differently than most people do" (that's semi-homophobic, isn't it?)

I'd say connect the dots, but then Schilling would probably find me and beat me to a little pulp. So, Schill, if you happen to see this comment in your internet wanderings... it's all in good fun.

I'd switch teams for Brady, Bruschi & Seau...wait, scratch Seau, I don't want to get hurt.

Maybe the question needs to be posed in the Dumber Question thread or get it's own thread entirely, but it seems like we're getting on the track of: "Which sports star would make you switch teams?"

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

I have to say, I don't care if Steve Buckley thinks that some gay jokes are fine and others aren't. Who is he to decide if a seemingly harmless joke can lead to something malicious? I'm sure I use "gay" and "fag", I grew up making those jokes on the playground and probably haven't matured/evolved past that point. But, I wouldn;t go ahead and say some gay jokes are fine with all homosexuals.

That said, I think it's pretty damned cool that he came out, and i hope he is supported by the athletes and the city. Good for Teets and Curt. Frankly, I wonder if Curt bounced his sentiments off his wife or if he realizes that his church believes Buckley is going straight to hell. If he does, and doesn't care what his church says on the topic, he's a hell of a lot cooler than I thought.

Yeah, that's right, I'm enlightenend, assholes.

This post has been edited by Manny's PS2: 07 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

View PostManny, on 07 January 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

That said, I think it's pretty damned cool that he came out, and i hope he is supported by the athletes and the city. Good for Teets and Curt. Frankly, I wonder if Curt bounced his sentiments off his wife or if he realizes that his church believes Buckley is going straight to hell. If he does, and doesn't care what his church says on the topic, he's a hell of a lot cooler than I thought.

In fact, according to Buckley, Schilling was the first athlete to contact him and did so pretty early in the morning. You never know of course but it sounded like the initial contact was spontaneous upon Schilling hearing the news on WEEI. I also would suggest that it is a mistake to assume that being Christian means being anti-gay.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

I agree, GONM, but if you slice up the "Christian Pie" I bet less than 1% of CHURCHES are tolerant of homosexuality. So, I'm saying his church is probably not down with the homos (In principle, in reality, I'm sure there's all kinds of special candle worshipping etc).

I think there's a growing number of people who are accepting - both Christians and non-Christians. But the sects of the religion are not about to announce that it's fine to be Gay.

People who follow anything blindly (except the red sox and my philosophies/twitter account/website) are idiots.

#19 User is online  
rominer 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostManny, on 07 January 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

People who follow anything blindly (except the red sox and my philosophies/twitter account/website) are idiots.

Also, people who aren't blind but follow your twitter account and website anyway are idiots.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

View Postrominer, on 07 January 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

Also, people who aren't blind but follow your twitter account and website anyway are idiots.

What about blind people who do follow MPS2's twatting? I mean like real blind. Not close-minded blind. You can't call a blind person who follows twitter an idiot. It's kinda badass.

Actually, on second thought, it's probably not badass at all. I mean sitting around listening to the tweets of people you follow. That's gotta suck.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users