• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gonzalez or Pujols?

dra44 

• Athletic Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hello all! It's been a long time. I must admit I've been away for waaaaay too long. All that being said:

Since the Sox have not "officially" come to terms on an extension with Mr. Gonzalez, does anyone think that, now that the opening is there, we go after the ultimate prize? Now that the front office has caved on long-term deals, it could be possible. I'm not saying I'm 100% for it, but now that Albert is going to hit the open market, I think the Sox almost need to explore the possibility.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

View Postdra44, on 17 February 2011 - 09:42 PM, said:

Hello all! It's been a long time. I must admit I've been away for waaaaay too long. All that being said:

Since the Sox have not "officially" come to terms on an extension with Mr. Gonzalez, does anyone think that, now that the opening is there, we go after the ultimate prize? Now that the front office has caved on long-term deals, it could be possible. I'm not saying I'm 100% for it, but now that Albert is going to hit the open market, I think the Sox almost need to explore the possibility.

As great as Pujols is, I'd have to pass. Gonzalez is 2 years younger and I'm not sure the difference in their salaries will be worth the difference on the field. Not only that, but it will kill the trust any future player has in the front office if they don't give Gonzalez the extension that everyone knows they've already agreed to. I'd rather see the additional money spent next offseason on a replacement for Drew or Ortiz.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:28 AM

View PostBigSlick, on 17 February 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

As great as Pujols is, I'd have to pass. Gonzalez is 2 years younger and I'm not sure the difference in their salaries will be worth the difference on the field. Not only that, but it will kill the trust any future player has in the front office if they don't give Gonzalez the extension that everyone knows they've already agreed to. I'd rather see the additional money spent next offseason on a replacement for Drew or Ortiz.

You know who would be a pretty good DH?

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

View Postrominer, on 18 February 2011 - 04:28 AM, said:

You know who would be a pretty good DH?

Which would make his on field worth be a whole lot less than 30 million. Also, the post I was replying to said "Since the Sox have not "officially" come to terms on an extension with Mr. Gonzalez". What happens if you tell Gonzalez he has to wait for Pujols to become a free agent to give him the contract he's been promised and you end up with neither one?

This post has been edited by BigSlick: 18 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

MrNewEngland 

• My name is dinosaur and I came here to party.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

I have this feeling that Pujols is a lot older than he says he is. I really think if anyone gives him an A-Rod type contract they will regret it about halfway through.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

www.lostinthenation.com tackled this very subject.
I believe the Sox should buy him, and platoon him with gonzalez at first. they can trade off being DH/1b and the Red Sox will have the best lineup in baseball for a long time.

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

View PostManny, on 18 February 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

www.lostinthenation.com tackled this very subject.
I believe the Sox should buy him, and platoon him with gonzalez at first. they can trade off being DH/1b and the Red Sox will have the best lineup in baseball for a long time.

I'd like to see the Gonzalez deal finalized first. That way we can see exactly the amount of money that will be available. However, the more I think about it the more I am warming up to the idea. With Cameron, Drew and Ortiz (likely) coming off the books next year and Lester and Buchholz signed at bargain prices, maybe they can work it out.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

But what of Gerrard, Suarez and Meireles?

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

It ain't my money. Sign 'em all!!

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

I still think that Pujols stays with St. Louis.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

View PostMike LansWho, on 18 February 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

I still think that Pujols stays with St. Louis.

jerk.
If he doesn;t come to Boston, it's all your fault for shunning him.

dra44 

• Athletic Supporter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 18 February 2011 - 07:08 AM, said:

Which would make his on field worth be a whole lot less than 30 million. Also, the post I was replying to said "Since the Sox have not "officially" come to terms on an extension with Mr. Gonzalez". What happens if you tell Gonzalez he has to wait for Pujols to become a free agent to give him the contract he's been promised and you end up with neither one?

The question is, what does Pujols command in the open market? Without trading Teixeira, the MFY's are probably out. Yes, a team like Washington could come along and offer a deal like Werth got, but, we're talking about what could be the largest contract in MLB history, and there are only a few real players for a deal like that. The real question is, do we sign the extension, and then find out that Pujols only gets $3-4m more aav because the market isn't there?

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

View Postdra44, on 19 February 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

The question is, what does Pujols command in the open market? Without trading Teixeira, the MFY's are probably out. Yes, a team like Washington could come along and offer a deal like Werth got, but, we're talking about what could be the largest contract in MLB history, and there are only a few real players for a deal like that. The real question is, do we sign the extension, and then find out that Pujols only gets $3-4m more aav because the market isn't there?

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ornitolog82/ornitolog821007/ornitolog82100700412/7429114-a-bird-in-the-hand-is-worth-two-in-the-bush-great-tit-parus-major.jpg

Red Sox Fan2 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

Keep Gonzalez and get Prince to be the DH.

GreenMountainSoxFan 

• AA Portland
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

View PostBigSlick, on 19 February 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ornitolog82/ornitolog821007/ornitolog82100700412/7429114-a-bird-in-the-hand-is-worth-two-in-the-bush-great-tit-parus-major.jpg

So you are saying that a Great Tit in the hand is worth two in the bush? I think more experimentation is needed to settle this issue.

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

View PostGreenMountainSoxFan, on 21 February 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

So you are saying that a Great Tit in the hand is worth two in the bush? I think more experimentation is needed to settle this issue.

No, I'm saying that it's bad business to break a promise to a potential MVP in order to try to make a play for someone else and possibly end up with neither. On top of that, Pujols is 2.5 years older and will likely require more years Gonzales. I don't want to see the Red Sox of 2019 handcuffed because they are paying a 40 year old DH 30 million to hit .270 with 23 HR's.

GreenMountainSoxFan 

• AA Portland
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 21 February 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

No, I'm saying that it's bad business to break a promise to a potential MVP in order to try to make a play for someone else and possibly end up with neither. On top of that, Pujols is 2.5 years older and will likely require more years Gonzales. I don't want to see the Red Sox of 2019 handcuffed because they are paying a 40 year old DH 30 million to hit .270 with 23 HR's.

Quite. All true. I was attempting a lame joke involving the name of the bird species in your photo, a proverb, and questionable sexual priorities.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

View PostRed Sox Fan2, on 21 February 2011 - 01:57 AM, said:

Keep Gonzalez and get Prince to be the DH.

That would make more sense if the Red Sox are going to continue to offer big contracts.

Though... why not just sign Pujols anyway and have him play shortstop. I mean, he was a shortstop when he was drafter. [Sarcasm].

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

View PostBigSlick, on 21 February 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

Who cares about 2019? Live for the moment. You could get hit by a bus this afternoon. Certainly, THEO won't be the GM in 2019, so why not spend JWH's cash when you can?

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

View PostManny, on 22 February 2011 - 09:29 AM, said:

Who cares about 2019? Live for the moment. You could get hit by a bus this afternoon. Certainly, THEO won't be the GM in 2019, so why not spend JWH's cash when you can?

But it's not just 2019. It's 2012 if we don't land Pujols and lose out on Gonzales because we broke a promise to him.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users