Royal Rooters: People talking sh*t (like Buck Showalter, for instance) - Royal Rooters

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

People talking sh*t (like Buck Showalter, for instance)
Mock outrage and fake ire in response

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6252444

Speaking about the Red Sox, Showalter mocked the notion that Epstein's biggest offseason acquisitions -- namely, left fielder Carl Crawford and first baseman Adrian Gonzalez -- were indicative of the Red Sox GM's savvy.

"I'd like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay [Rays] payroll," Showalter told Men's Journal, according to the Record. "You got Carl Crawford 'cause you paid more than anyone else, and that's what makes you smarter? That's why I like whipping their butt. It's great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, 'How the hell are they beating us?' "

Outrageous. I am so mad. I want to go to a ballgame and buy a bag of peanuts, just so I can launch the shells at Buck Showalter.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

I read this article earlier today. Showalter is an idiot. First of all, he has the Sox payroll numbers confused with the Yankees. Secondly, as Gordon Edes points out, The Sox have a ton of home grown talent and got Adrian Gonzalez because of how strong their minor league system is.

In reality there are only 3 people on the current roster who are bought. Crawford, Drew and Matsuzaka. Everyone else either came up with the Sox or the Sox got them cheap.

Someone refresh my memory. How many rings did he win as manager of the Yankees? Not only that, but the Yankees and Diamondbacks both won the World Series the year after they fired Showalter. F*** him.

rominer 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Buck's not even as good at sucking as he used to be. It took the Rangers 4 years to get to the World Series after he was canned...and they lost.

To Edgar Renteria, at that.

MrNewEngland 

• My name is dinosaur and I came here to party.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

I think Buck is a retard, and I am a HUGE Theo fan... but I've wondered that myself at times. Yes, we have a lot of homegrown talent but (I think) we consistently spend the most in the drafts (Yankees spend more on IFA). He's bought his way out of trouble on occasion (Renteria) and when he falls in love with a player he'll outbid himself (Lugo, Drew, Varitek).

Don't get me wrong, I think he's perfectly suited for the job... but he def makes the most out of the Red Sox financial advantage.

rominer 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

Right...obviously other than confusing the Yankees' payroll with the Red Sox payroll – which does actually make me mad because it leads to a lot of blanket statements that fundamentally aren't true by mathematically challenged f***heads in the media - Showalter really isn't saying anything that crazy.

But where's your mock outrage and fake ire? Come on, now. "Buck is a retard" doesn't cut it in this day and age, when "retard" has almost become the norm.

The Ghost of Ned Martin 

• The Truth and the Light.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostMrNewEngland, on 24 March 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

I think Buck is a retard, and I am a HUGE Theo fan... but I've wondered that myself at times. Yes, we have a lot of homegrown talent but (I think) we consistently spend the most in the drafts (Yankees spend more on IFA). He's bought his way out of trouble on occasion (Renteria) and when he falls in love with a player he'll outbid himself (Lugo, Drew, Varitek).

Don't get me wrong, I think he's perfectly suited for the job... but he def makes the most out of the Red Sox financial advantage.

I think Showalter's point about the resources at Theo's disposal is a valid one but I think the motivation of his tirade had little to do with Derek Jeter (who Buck also called out in the interview) or Epstein. This was part of his attempt to get his players to have a more aggressive attitude toward the Sox and Yanks. He is taking the big bullies of the division much like Sexy Rexy took on BB and the Pats as soon as he took the Jets job.

It's about instilling a certain attitude in his players. It's exactly what a team that has been a perennial doormat needs. The Orioles roster is filled with young players who have grown up in baseball looking at the Yanks and Sox in awe. He wants the players to start competing.

Can't blame him for that.

This post has been edited by The Ghost of Ned Martin: 24 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Renton 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Who is saying Theo is a savvy genius for signing Crawford? Is he arguing with himself?

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

It's great that the Tampa Bay Rays have so much home grown talent, but I noticed how he forgot to mention that over a 10 year period from 1999-2008, they were picking in the top five, eight times (the two they missed were sixth and eighth)and included the first overall pick in four of those drafts.

StuckInChiTown 

• 40 Man Roster
  • Group: Visitor from Evil Empire

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

View PostBigSlick, on 24 March 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

I read this article earlier today. Showalter is an idiot. First of all, he has the Sox payroll numbers confused with the Yankees. Secondly, as Gordon Edes points out, The Sox have a ton of home grown talent and got Adrian Gonzalez because of how strong their minor league system is.

In reality there are only 3 people on the current roster who are bought. Crawford, Drew and Matsuzaka. Everyone else either came up with the Sox or the Sox got them cheap.

Someone refresh my memory. How many rings did he win as manager of the Yankees? Not only that, but the Yankees and Diamondbacks both won the World Series the year after they fired Showalter. F*** him.

Yes but as it has been pointed out to me many times as a Yankee fan, even when you home grow or trade for talent you have a substantial advantage to retain said players when they are up. For example extending Beckett in 2010. Oh and John Lackey says hello.

This post has been edited by StuckInChiTown: 25 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

I'm so angry at Buck Showalter. He is a big jerk. Derek Jeter is a saint and Theo Epstein is the smartest man to live. I seriously hope they shoot Buck Showalter out of a cannon. Aside from the brilliant physical comedy, he would deserve it for his hurtful words. Also, his family should get the aids. Even his distant family, like the Aunt he's not sure how he's related to: AIDS. Not regular aids either - horse aids.

StuckInChiTown 

• 40 Man Roster
  • Group: Visitor from Evil Empire

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

View PostStuckInChiTown, on 25 March 2011 - 08:20 AM, said:

Yes but as it has been pointed out to me many times as a Yankee fan, even when you home grow or trade for talent you have a substantial advantage to retain said players when they are up. For example extending Beckett in 2010. Oh and John Lackey says hello.

By the way, how come when I typed “John Lackey says h-i” it posted as John Lackey slept with my mother. Is that a phrase we are trying to get away from? I mean maybe John Lackey did sleep with my mother, I don’t know. But frankly my mother was a decent looking woman and could do better.

This post has been edited by StuckInChiTown: 25 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

My Dad slept with my mother

Edit: Wow. Stuckinchitown was right. Who knew?

This post has been edited by BigSlick: 25 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

Manny's PS2 slept with all your mothers.

Huh, worked fine for me.

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

That's an old find-and-replace function that was put in place a while back when every offseason the most used phrase was 'Ben Sheets says h-i'. I'm surprised that some of you didn't remember.

BTW, Ben Sheets slept with my mother.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

View PostMike LansWho, on 25 March 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

BTW, Ben Sheets slept with my mother.

test:

MLW's mom slept with my mother
slept with my mother slept with my mother slept with my mother

This post has been edited by Manny's PS2: 25 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

View PostManny, on 25 March 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

test:
Everyone slept with my mother

Ever notice the "preview post" button?

Don't tell me that it's been deactivated either, because I know that one still works.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 25 March 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Ever notice the "preview post" button?

Don't tell me that it's been deactivated either, because I know that one still works.

Yeah, it's my thread, I don't preview jack shit, homeslice. Plus, I've been drinking...a lot. And working, a little.

Take one minute to consider what a shithole your lives would be without me in that shithole, bailing you out with bad joke after bad joke. I think it's probably time you all consider paying me for my services. Like how your moms pay with their vaginas.

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

View PostManny, on 25 March 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

Take one minute to consider what a shithole your lives would be without me in that shithole, bailing you out with bad joke after bad joke. I think it's probably time you all consider paying me for my services. Like how your moms pay with their vaginas.

Did I not retweet your comment about Japan, Libya and not caring after a week from today because baseball is starting soon? (my brother actually did laugh out loud when he read that) I think spreading the word of @lostinthenation is payment enough.

This post has been edited by BigSlick: 25 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 25 March 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Did I not retweet your comment about Japan, Libya and not caring after a week from today because baseball is starting soon? (my brother actually did laugh out loud when he read that) I think spreading the word of @lostinthenation is payment enough.

Yep, you are a prophet for the new word.

It's true, if all these wars aren't pretty much a wrap in a week, I'm ceasing to give a crap. Your brother must be a genius. (or a convict).

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

Showalter called Theo and apologized.

http://www.boston.co...?p1=Upbox_links

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic