Okie goes to Pawtucket

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

25-man roster

Rotation
LHP Jon Lester, RHP John Lackey, RHP Clay Buchholz, RHP Josh Beckett, RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka

Bullpen
RHP Jonathan Papelbon, RHP Daniel Bard, RHP Bobby Jenks, RHP Dan Wheeler, LHP Dennys Reyes, RHP Matt Albers, RHP Tim Wakefield

Outfielders
Mike Cameron, Carl Crawford, J.D. Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Darnell McDonald

Infielders
Jed Lowrie, Adrian Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia, Marco Scutaro, Kevin Youkilis.

Catchers
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Jason Varitek

DH
David Ortiz

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm not too fond of having Reyes as the only left-handed option out of the pen. I called Tito about it. I'm waiting for him to call me back.

Soxier 

• Draft Choice
  • Group: New Member

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

Gotta say, I'm crazy excited about this line-up. Tough decisions had to be made with the pitching, and I'm sure there will be some up-and-down movement in the 'pen with all the talent we've got starting the season at Pawtucket.

I wonder how the season will break down with Scutaro and Lowrie? If they both play well, one of 'em is gonna end up as trade bait.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

View PostSoxier, on 30 March 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

Gotta say, I'm crazy excited about this line-up. Tough decisions had to be made with the pitching, and I'm sure there will be some up-and-down movement in the 'pen with all the talent we've got starting the season at Pawtucket.

I wonder how the season will break down with Scutaro and Lowrie? If they both play well, one of 'em is gonna end up as trade bait.

First of all, welcome to the board.

Secondly, even if Sutaro and Lowrie play well, I would hesitate to trade either one. I don't think they want to bring Iglesias up in the middle of a pennant race and they need someone as a back up.

Soxier 

• Draft Choice

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 30 March 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

First of all, welcome to the board.

Secondly, even if Sutaro and Lowrie play well, I would hesitate to trade either one. I don't think they want to bring Iglesias up in the middle of a pennant race and they need someone as a back up.

Thanks for the welcome...it's more of a 'welcome back' from a long hiatus. I signed up a couple years ago, but then life got in the way (I know I posted some back then..but maybe old posts don't count?)

I agree they'll need a backup, but they could pick up an extra backup from another team. If we end up with 2 genuine starter-quality shortstops in mid-summer and we have a need elsewhere due to injury or poor performance, I can't see them not trading one of them away.

We'll see what happens. I'm very happy to have them both right now!

#6 User is online  
rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

View PostSoxier, on 30 March 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

That leaves you not just with no backup SS, but also no backup 3B or 2B, and your backup 1B is the same guy as your everyday 3B.

Obviously there are guys on the farm who can step into those backup infielder roles, and one guy who might well step into the starting SS role. But I'm not sure there's any urgency there, unless someone puts a particularly generous offer on the table.

Soxier 

• Draft Choice

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

View Postrominer, on 30 March 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

That leaves you not just with no backup SS, but also no backup 3B or 2B, and your backup 1B is the same guy as your everyday 3B.

Obviously there are guys on the farm who can step into those backup infielder roles, and one guy who might well step into the starting SS role. But I'm not sure there's any urgency there, unless someone puts a particularly generous offer on the table.

I didn't think they would trade Scutaro or Lowrie and replace them with no one, leaving a gaping hole in the roster. Sheesh, people! A backup infielder is not difficult to find, either from our own farm or from another team. All I was saying is this: If it becomes apparent that we are in need of something by mid-summer (like a 1B or 3B, if somebody gets injured), and both Scutaro and Lowrie are showing themselves to be starter-quality shortstops...I think it darn likely one of them will be traded. They would also acquire or promote another backup infielder (I thought that would go without saying, but apparently not!).

I didn't think this would be a controversial point. Having two major-league quality players for one position....it's not something that typically lasts a full season.

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

View PostSoxier, on 31 March 2011 - 09:06 AM, said:

I didn't think this would be a controversial point. Having two major-league quality players for one position....it's not something that typically lasts a full season.

It's not just one position though. As mentioned previously, Lowrie fills in at multiple positions. He conceivably start 100+ games just by giving days off to regulars and covering short injury periods.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

View PostSoxier, on 31 March 2011 - 09:06 AM, said:

I didn't think they would trade Scutaro or Lowrie and replace them with no one, leaving a gaping hole in the roster. Sheesh, people! A backup infielder is not difficult to find, either from our own farm or from another team. All I was saying is this: If it becomes apparent that we are in need of something by mid-summer (like a 1B or 3B, if somebody gets injured), and both Scutaro and Lowrie are showing themselves to be starter-quality shortstops...I think it darn likely one of them will be traded. They would also acquire or promote another backup infielder (I thought that would go without saying, but apparently not!).

Would you risk a quality platoon player capable of starting on a world series contender for a back=up utility type? Those guys are typically mediocre at the plate and demonstrate mediocre range at SS in the field (or lack arm strength).

Also, Scutaro is in the final year of his contract and is 34 (I think). How much could he really fetch in trade? Would it be more than what Theo would have to give up to acquire that back-up IF?

acr 

• Clay Buchholz stole my laptop
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

View PostKid T, on 31 March 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

Would you risk a quality platoon player capable of starting on a world series contender for a back=up utility type? Those guys are typically mediocre at the plate and demonstrate mediocre range at SS in the field (or lack arm strength).

Also, Scutaro is in the final year of his contract and is 34 (I think). How much could he really fetch in trade? Would it be more than what Theo would have to give up to acquire that back-up IF?

Lowrie hasn't been a shining beacon of durability either. I'd be worried about trading Scutaro and then being left with a Nick Green type starting in September because Lowrie breaks something.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

View Postacr, on 31 March 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

Lowrie hasn't been a shining beacon of durability either. I'd be worried about trading Scutaro and then being left with a Nick Green type starting in September because Lowrie breaks something.

All the more reason not to trade either one of them.

SoxAroundTheWorld 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

Agree with the keep-'em-both crowd. If last year taught us anything, it is that injury can happen early and often. Lowrie is the super-sub this year. The more super the better. SS is his for the taking next year, when Marco bids adieu - unless/until Iglesias takes it away from him. If/when that happens, Lowrie becomes trade bait. But that's next off-season at the earliest. Neither Scutaro nor Lowrie is going anywhere this year, regardless of how good (or bad) they are.

I like having these problems.

BigSlick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

View PostSoxAroundTheWorld, on 01 April 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

Agree with the keep-'em-both crowd. If last year taught us anything, it is that injury can happen early and often. Lowrie is the super-sub this year. The more super the better. SS is his for the taking next year, when Marco bids adieu - unless/until Iglesias takes it away from him. If/when that happens, Lowrie becomes trade bait. But that's next off-season at the earliest. Neither Scutaro nor Lowrie is going anywhere this year, regardless of how good (or bad) they are.

I like having these problems.

Since they have an extra starter they could trade either Scutaro or Lowrie for a big bat to come off the bench. I hear Wily Mo Pena is available.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users