Royal Rooters: .500 - Royal Rooters

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will the Red Sox continue to make it or break it?

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

Some good things happened on the ball field this weekend for the Red Sox: (1) They swept the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, (2) They reached the .500 winning percentage mark after starting 2-10, (3) A Red Sox catcher finally hit a homerun, (4) Adrian Gonzalez is lighting it up, among many other things. So the questions still remains... are the Red Sox on their way to the .600 and above mark or will they continue to be inconsistent?

My thought is that as long as Lackey and Dice-K are pitching like crap, the Red Sox will continue to be inconsistent because I don't think their lineup is ready to carry the load every time those two guys take the hill.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

View PostHail Cesar, on 16 May 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

My thought is that as long as Lackey and Dice-K are pitching like crap, the Red Sox will continue to be inconsistent because I don't think their lineup is ready to carry the load every time those two guys take the hill.

That seems to put them at .600, then.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

View Postrominer, on 16 May 2011 - 10:57 AM, said:

That seems to put them at .600, then.

No one said I was a math wiz.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

?

My thought is that as long as Lackey and Dice-K are pitching like crap,

Maybe I'm being a Matsuzaka apologist here, but take out his one horrendous outing (7 ER in 2 IP on 4/11) and he would be sporting an ERA of 3.48. I know he is maddening to watch at times with his high pitch counts and nibbling around the plate after getting ahead on the count, but he's actually been pretty good...especially for what would be expected from a #5 starter.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

View PostKid T, on 16 May 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

Maybe I'm being a Matsuzaka apologist here, but take out his one horrendous outing (7 ER in 2 IP on 4/11) and he would be sporting an ERA of 3.48. I know he is maddening to watch at times with his high pitch counts and nibbling around the plate after getting ahead on the count, but he's actually been pretty good...especially for what would be expected from a #5 starter.

Yes.

But you chose the wrong day to voice this opinion.

Sox Sweep Again 

• Mountain zoned.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:20 PM

View PostKid T, on 16 May 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

I agree, but also with Rominer.

Kid T 

• No soup for you!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

View Postrominer, on 16 May 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yes.

But you chose the wrong day to voice this opinion.

Even with the bad outing, his ERA (minus the 7 run, 2IP start) would still be 3.82. More than acceptable for a 4/5 starter.

JMDurron 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

I don't think their lineup is ready to carry the load every time those two guys take the hill.

I think this is where we differ. So far this season, the lineup has never had two hot guys together in a row to produce significant offense. First, it was just Pedroia, Youk, and Lowrie, then it was just Ellsbury and Ortiz, but now it looks like Ellsbury, Gonzalez, Youkilis, and Ortiz are all hot at the same time. Throw in some key hits/walks from Drew and Lowrie to turn the lineup over, and I think you have an "overcome the 4/5 starters" offense. The pitching carried the offense out on the West Coast in April, now it's time for the offense to do the same until Lackey gets back into the rotation.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

View PostJMDurron, on 17 May 2011 - 07:23 AM, said:

So far this season, the lineup has never had two hot guys together in a row to produce significant offense.

That's what she said.

First, it was just Pedroia, Youk, and Lowrie, then it was just Ellsbury and Ortiz, but now it looks like Ellsbury, Gonzalez, Youkilis, and Ortiz are all hot at the same time. Throw in some key hits/walks from Drew and Lowrie to turn the lineup over, and I think you have an "overcome the 4/5 starters" offense. The pitching carried the offense out on the West Coast in April, now it's time for the offense to do the same until Lackey gets back into the rotation.

I'm not saying that I expect that the 1-9 lineup to be each bashing the crap out of the ball every night, but prior to the last couple of games, it just hasn't seemed like the lineup has "gelled". Maybe it's because only a couple of guys were hitting the ball well at any given time over the course of this season. Maybe it's the fact that there were like 3 quadrillion lineups with guys hitting leadoff one night and eighth the next. Maybe it's because the Red Sox share a keg of beer prior to each game. I don't know. Before the latest winning streak it just hasn't seemed like the Red Sox have been comfortable at the plate as a team, so that is why I thought that they weren't ready to carry the load when the 4th or 5th starter hits the mound. I think last night, however, was a great showing by the lineup and hopefully is an indication that they will be able to carry the load if need be from here on out.

Joey Slugs 

• A Lancaster
  • Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Now that they are over .500 (especially how they came back to win last night) - I don't see this team looking back.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

The pitching carried the offense out on the West Coast in April, now it's time for the offense to do the same until Lackey gets back into the rotation.

JMD, I almost never disagree with you, but if the pitching was "carrying" the hitters in April they did a really shitty job. I would say both were grovelling around on the ground, waiting to be carried by the other.

coloradojack 

• trust me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

View PostJoey Slugs, on 17 May 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

Now that they are over .500 (especially how they came back to win last night) - I don't see this team looking back.

Lock the thread.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

View Postcoloradojack, on 17 May 2011 - 10:57 AM, said:

Lock the thread.

Better yet, change the title to .600 because that is around where they will end up.

This post has been edited by BigSlick: 17 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

JMDurron 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

View PostManny, on 17 May 2011 - 10:52 AM, said:

JMD, I almost never disagree with you, but if the pitching was "carrying" the hitters in April they did a really shitty job. I would say both were grovelling around on the ground, waiting to be carried by the other.

I'm not referring to the entire month, but to the 10-game stretch where the rotation gave up the fewest runs for any 10-game stretch of starts for the franchise in the past 70 years or so. Let me try to find the numbers on that.

Aha, and here is the link - link!

Since April 16, Bostonís starting pitchers have combined for a 0.88 ERA. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, thatís the lowest ERA for the Red Sox rotation over any nine-game span since July 1918 (0.84).

So, it was a 9/10 game stretch from April 16 to April 25/26 where the rotation absolutely DID carry the team, because the offense was not significantly better. My argument was that, particularly now with Lackey and Matsuzaka both hurt, we need a 9-10 game stretch where the offense returns the favor.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostJMDurron, on 18 May 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

I'm not referring to the entire month, but to the 10-game stretch where the rotation gave up the fewest runs for any 10-game stretch of starts for the franchise in the past 70 years or so. Let me try to find the numbers on that.

Aha, and here is the link - link!

So, it was a 9/10 game stretch from April 16 to April 25/26 where the rotation absolutely DID carry the team, because the offense was not significantly better. My argument was that, particularly now with Lackey and Matsuzaka both hurt, we need a 9-10 game stretch where the offense returns the favor.

I'm sorry I only deal in specifics as in " The Red Sox Rotation Carried the Offense in the SECOND HALF of April" Because I believe the first half they were being carried by Airplanes and busses and not much else. I'll let it slide though....THIS TIME. Next time, Banned.

JMDurron 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

View PostManny, on 18 May 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'm sorry I only deal in specifics as in

OUT ON THE WEST COAST IN APRIL.

It was actually a 9-10 game stretch, and 6 of those games were on the West Coast. I was actually TOO specific, as opposed to not being specific enough. You read my initial post like a Texan.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

View PostJMDurron, on 19 May 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

You read my initial post like a Texan.

If that were the case, I'd still be trying to figure out what all those random letters are doing together, and then if those letters are gay, retarded, on deathrow or all three.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users