Knee surgery for Pedroia?
Probably not... he has a bruise

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:47 PM

Pedroia may have knee surgery

NEW YORK Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will return to Boston tomorrow to have his right knee examined and is facing the possibility of surgery that would sideline him for at least a month.

Pedroia was injured on May 16 when he fell on his knee fielding a ball against the Orioles. He described the procedure, which will be done at Massachusetts General Hospital, as a "needle with a camera on it" that will determine the extent of the damage.

If necessary, Pedroia would then have the surgery immediately.

"It could keep me out a month," he said. "It's not what I want. But I have to get it checked out. It's been bothering me a lot."

ghostoffoxx 

• That's Protestant whiskey!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

Gorden Edes reported that Pedroia stated that part of his hitting problems have stemmed from his knee. If it does need surgery, I hope he gets it done know so, he can be in the line up as the dog days of summer come upon us

SoxAroundTheWorld 

• 25 Man Roster
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

Sounds like he is looking at arthroscopic surgery, presumably for a torn meniscus. Michael Jordan and I had the same operation in the same week of January 2001 (or was it 2002?). Michael was playing in the NBA four weeks later (I wasn't). If that's all it is, Pedey should be back after the ASB.

JMDurron 

• Season Ticket Holder
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

If we're going to pick a month to lose him, the month that spans Interleague and the All-Star Break would be the one I'd pick. With Scutaro back, once Lowrie is over his collision damage with Crawford (WTF is with our IFers hitting LFers anyway?), we can have both SS and 2B covered somewhat competently. I'm guessing that Scutaro's absence is why Pedroia hasn't had this looked at before now.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

FWIW, the Sox announced that the surgery/out a month speculation is false.

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Pedroia has a bruised kneecap

NEW YORK Dustin Pedroia had a bruised kneecap and is expected to play tomorrow according to Sean McAdam of Comcast Sports.

More on this as information becomes available.

Peter Abraham - Sox wait to hear on Pedroia

NEW YORK Dustin Pedroia's appointment with Dr. Tom Gill was at 4:30 p.m. today. Terry Francona is waiting to hear the result.

Francona expressed confidence that Pedroia would be in the lineup tomorrow. But a few seconds later admitted that the second baseman has cartilage damage in his knee.

"That knee has been actually kind of sore, it was sore last year. But when he broke his foot it became a non-issue and it got better obviously because he rested so much," Francona said, "It's been nagging at him a lot of this year. What we're trying to do today is Dr. Gill's going to look inside his knee with a minimally, a very minimally, invasive technique and just make sure, just to reassure us and Pedey, that he can play and not going to hurt himself. I think we owe it to him.

"There's a a different between having your knee ache or hurt as opposed to maybe putting yourself in a place you don't want to. We just want to make sure. I fully expect he'll be hitting second tomorrow. But I think we needed to do it. He didn't even want to go back and do this. We kind of made him. Because of the way he plays and everything and he keeps landing on that thing. We just want to make sure it's OK."

So why didn't the Red Sox wait until the off day on Monday to do this?

"Because he complained about it," Francona said. "It got to the point the other night where it was starting to grab at him a little bit. The more we talked, we didn't want to put it off. ... This is just something to make sure he's OK."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users