#1 Born again sox

Born again sox

A Lancaster

• Royal Rooters
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:06 PM

Synchronized diving.

I must confess though that watching the furious brooming in curling event had me totally engrossed during last winter Olympics.

#2 W.A. Cummings

W.A. Cummings

40 Man Roster

• Royal Rooters
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:51 PM

Synchronized diving.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on, I liked this. But for most rediculous I would have to nominate Speed Walking

#3 BCLovesOrtiz

BCLovesOrtiz

Sadly, not an ACTUAL Dominican

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:56 PM

I have no proof other than my roomate's girlfriend telling us that its a real event... but I'm hearing rumors that backgammon is actually something you can win a medal in... also, I'm fairly certain that ballroom dancing is also a medal sport.

Re-god-damn-diculous.

#4 W.A. Cummings

W.A. Cummings

40 Man Roster

• Royal Rooters
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:58 PM

I have no proof other than my roomate's girlfriend telling us that its a real event... but I'm hearing rumors that backgammon is actually something you can win a medal in... also, I'm fairly certain that ballroom dancing is also a medal sport. 

Re-god-damn-diculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Backgammon is in but I know a lot of people are trying to push Chess into the China Olympics.

#5 The Love Below

The Love Below

Don't believe the hype.

• Barstaff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:11 PM

Synchronized diving.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on, I liked this. But for most rediculous I would have to nominate Speed Walking

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to be the grammar police, but how do you spell a word incorrectly when it's part of the thread title? 'Rediculous' isn't a word, people. I had to make an example out of this one, as that bastardization of an everyday word is all over this site.

Someone bring back spellcheck, PLEASE!
[/rant]

Now, my vote goes to Speed Walking, with synchronized swimming as a close second.

#6 wix0632

wix0632

50 Man Roster

• Royal Rooters
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:15 PM

Equestrian. The horse should medal, not the rider.

#7 JohntheBaptist

JohntheBaptist

The Folks Know What's Up

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:21 PM

Basketball. Especially when the US is playing.

#8 Born again sox

Born again sox

A Lancaster

• Royal Rooters
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:40 AM

delete. apparently not fit to read or type.

Edited by Born again sox, 20 August 2004 - 01:47 AM.

#9 rico1024

rico1024

25 Man Roster

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

Race Walking is, BY FAR, the most ridiculous Olympic Sport

ANd Fencing, although it should be in there, sucks too. I mean just what are the rules?? Ok, you hit him, but you did not have "full agression," so no point? WTF?

#10 mascho

mascho

If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant...

• Royal Rooters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:48 AM

Table tennis.

Any sport where you can subtract one of the pieces of equipment (paddle), replace it with cups of beer in pyramid form, and have a better time, can't be in the Olympics.

#11 booma

booma

More than meets the eye

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:04 AM

Something that I didn't know existed until yesterday - men's field hockey. What?! Do they wear skirts? I don't understand. Couldn't you men let us women have one sport to ourselves? Is this reverse feminism?

(Side Note: I can't stand field hockey. It sucks. Hurts like hell to get hit with that little ball. But I felt the need to comment on this.)

Another one I just saw...Trampoline. Trampoline? You can get a gold medal on something your parents bought you to get you out of their hair for a day or two? What the hell are the Olympics coming to? I want to organize an Olympic team for Hide & Seek. Anyone want to join me?

#12 Caspir

Caspir

Rooters Hall of Fame

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:10 AM

Hide and seek would be great. As would capture the flag. Much better than speed walking. WTF???

#13 Dewy4PrezII

Dewy4PrezII

Gone to the Great Beyond

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:16 AM

dodge ball would rule as an olympic event

#14 mclusky

mclusky

May you live to be 100 and may the last post you read be mine.

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:20 AM

All of them?

#15 coloradojack

coloradojack

trust me

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:22 AM

i'd like to see them bring back tug-of-war.....the rare and ridiculous sport win you going backwards

Edited by coloradojack, 20 August 2004 - 11:26 AM.

#16 Axis Blunts

Axis Blunts

All your base are belong to us

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:23 AM

Something that I didn't know existed until yesterday - men's field hockey.  What?!  Do they wear skirts?  I don't understand.  Couldn't you men let us women have one sport to ourselves?  Is this reverse feminism?

In pretty much the rest of the world field hockey is a mens sport. America turned it into a womens sport.

#17 SoSHnubbed

SoSHnubbed

AA Portland

• Royal Rooters
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:28 AM

I'm agreeing with wix. As inane as some of these sports are (Olympic Badmition?), at least they all rely on some basic level of competence in the skills required for the event. The idea that someone can win a gold medal by taking credit for the prancing of a godforsaken HORSE is beyond me.

If equestrian is an Olympic sport, why don't we just throw Smarty Jones and Imperialism onto the track and field oval and let them compete in the sprints?

The horses need to go.

On a lighter note, anyone catch the coverage of Handball? That's a goofy sport - looks like something you'd play in Elementary school gym class.

#18 rico1024

rico1024

25 Man Roster

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:56 AM

On a lighter note, anyone catch the coverage of Handball? That's a goofy sport - looks like something you'd play in Elementary school gym class.

Ironically, it something I DID play in gym class and loved it. Then again, I don't think we played quite the same way as they do in the Olympics...

Olympic trampoline? Haven't heard of that one... What's next? Olympic Pogo Stick?

What's the feeling on Sailing in the Olympics??

#19 fenwayfaithful

fenwayfaithful

25 Man Roster

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

I find these the most ridiculous:

Synchronized Yard Sale Shopping -- It's really more of an individually judged event.

The 100 yard Filenes Basement Bridal Event Dash -- Over the years, they've bastardized it.

Actually, I hate the Olympics. I'm just glad they are on during the summer so as to not interrupt my regular season (winter) television viewing.

#20 Fiskian Pole Shot

Fiskian Pole Shot

"Go home and get some ass." D. Ortiz

• Rooters Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:04 PM

Actually, equestrian events really do symbolize the Olympic spirit, as many of the original events had to do with things that would get one ready for war. Archery, shooting, running, javelin, and control of a horse epitomize these. And I dated an equine vet, so I tend to really appreciate it.

However, I'd have to go with speed walking and synchro swimming. Speed walkers tend to look like they're trying to get someone's attention on Fire Island. And synchro swimmers look like Stepford wives.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)