Royal Rooters: Yeah, I'm starting another poll question... - Royal Rooters

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yeah, I'm starting another poll question...
This one may or may not come into play...

Poll: Who pitches Wednesday? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

If the Sox go into Wednesday with a 1 game lead, who pitches?

1. Lester to try to lock up the playoff spot (4 votes [36.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Someone else, to hopefully save Lester for Game 1, and if that fails you get Lester for the 1 game playoff (7 votes [63.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

acr 

• Clay Buchholz stole my laptop
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

I'll stick this here because there isn't a better thread for it and I find it interesting

http://fullcount.wee...e-game-playoff/

Due to a fluke in the rules, the Red Sox theoretically could still make a waiver trade for a starting pitcher who would be eligible for the one-game playoff. That would be Thursday, so looking at guys on regular rest(aka guys who pitched last saturday), the only one who really stands out is Aaron Harang of San Diego. Of course, Jed Hoyer is there, which on one hand is a good connection to have, but on the other also knows the way things work, so we'd have to pay him the equivalent of whatever the compensation for him would be(I have no idea what makes a type A and what makes a type B), and that's a shit ton of pressure for a new guy to walk into.

Lackey will start if there is a Thursday, I'm 99% sure of it, he was decent enough on Sunday for them to give him another start. But the idea of acquiring a pitcher just for the playoff is one of those things that is too cool to not speculate about.

Edit: I just noticed that Harang has a mutual option for 2012, there's no reason the Padres wouldn't exercise that(only question is whether he wants to be back). That makes this even less likely, but still cool to think about.

This post has been edited by acr: 27 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

View Postacr, on 27 September 2011 - 05:37 PM, said:

I'll stick this here because there isn't a better thread for it and I find it interesting

http://fullcount.wee...e-game-playoff/

Due to a fluke in the rules, the Red Sox theoretically could still make a waiver trade for a starting pitcher who would be eligible for the one-game playoff.

I had heard somewhere that they were looking to acquire Chris Capuano for a start.

RedSoxAnni 

• Barmaid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 27 September 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

I had heard somewhere that they were looking to acquire Chris Capuano for a start.

They were. They tried to negotiate with the Mets to get him to pitch the Sunday game against the Yankees (before it became a double header). The Mets even held Capuano from a start, but then the deal went sour.

acr 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

View PostRedSoxAnni, on 27 September 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

They were. They tried to negotiate with the Mets to get him to pitch the Sunday game against the Yankees (before it became a double header). The Mets even held Capuano from a start, but then the deal went sour.

That's interesting. Capuano's pitching tonight, so that's an option they can't revisit.

If they did end up making a trade for someone, it would be a gamble to say the least. The other team would have major leverage in the deal, and would demand more than the appropriate compensation for a soon to be FA, but the potential PR and financial hit associated with missing the playoffs could make a trade worth it.

I just couldn't imagine a guy who is going to be a free agent getting traded at the end of September to make one start for the Boston Red Sox in a one-game playoff. Talk about a chance to make huge money on the market, and either being a hero or goat in this town.

#25 User is online  
rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Carl Crawford for Joel Pineiro anyone?

acr 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

http://i51.tinypic.com/2v29m5j.jpg

• (2 Pages)
  • +