Royal Rooters: Will the Yankees tank the rest of the season? - Royal Rooters

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will the Yankees tank the rest of the season?
Another poll: Why not?

Poll: Yankees final 3 games versus TB (11 member(s) have cast votes)

How will the Yankees finish the rest of regular season?

1. They will play the last 3 games like any other regular season game and try to win. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. They will lose the last 3 games on purpose to keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Mixture of both, resting starters, trying to win but stay healthy (11 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

This is pretty interesting in my opinion. The Yankees have an opportunity to keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs this season. They have 3 games remaining against the Rays. Does anybody think that they will tank these last three games on purpose? They are already guaranteed the best record in the AL, even if they lose out.

Personally, I don't think they would. I'm guessing option 3 is more realistic. However, if they do lose all three games there will be talk. Of course, none of this will matter if the Red Sox win all 3 of their remaining games. Just makes for interesting conversation.

This post has been edited by Mike LansWho: 26 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

NJSoxFan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

I doubt they will tank it. Would you really want to face the Rays starters in 7 games over the Sox starters? Either way its up to the Sox now. 3-0 and they are in. Ideally the Yanks knock off TB tonight while Beckett pitches a gem and this thing is done and over with.

rominer 

• Throwing a personal pity party, and everyone's invited.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

It's possible, Joe Girardi being an asshole and all, that they run the single-A kids out there for the last 3 games.

But I think what we saw last night would be a reasonable expectation. He had several regular starters in the game, but not all of them. He made some substitutions as the game went on, but they were all moves that were consistent with managing to win mostly pinch runners, with Jorge Posada pinch hitting for a minor leaguer. He used some of his good bullpen pitchers, but didn't push them too hard (could have easily brought Soriano back after a 7 pitch 8th).

I think the number of regular starters decreases as that series goes on, and there's probably no chance of seeing Rivera, Soriano, or Robertson out of the pen in the final game.

What happens with the Red Sox makes a difference. Obviously if the Red Sox clinch tomorrow, then everyone's playing the minor leaguers on the last day. If there's still a race on the last day, then I think the Yankees would respect that as much as they can while still putting the health and playoff-readiness of their own team first.

Whatever. I hope the Yankees win games and lose players. F**k them.

NJSoxFan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Once again I will be rooting hard for the Yanks. I HATE the Red Sox for forcing me into this 2 times in 1 month.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

One thing I noticed is probably no Sabbathia. I find that odd because he won't have pitched in like 10 days - not sure if that's a good move for the Yankees. I assumed he'd start tonight, but I see it's Noesi, and then fat, cheater Frankenarm Colon tomorrow. The Wednesday game is TBD so I imagine that will be a collection of spare parts. I don't think they'll tank. But i don't think the A team will be in there either. If they tank and the Sox make the playoffs, I can only hope they can make Girardi PAY.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

I doubt that the Yanks will tank it on purpose, but, like the others have said. The starters won't be out there for full games.

Something that comes to mind, though, from yesterday's double-header... did you see how the Yanks were playing it against Wakefield in the first inning of the first game? Something about that just didn't sit right with me. I mean, you're bunting for base hits and stealing bases for what? You've won the division. The guy on the mound will be lucky to get to the 5th inning in this stage of his career. You've got a bunch of mashers in your lineup. You should be swinging away and not bunting to win. Just seemed like the Yanks really wanted that game after starting out that way.

BigSlick 

• Praying to flop a monster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostHail Cesar, on 26 September 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

Something that comes to mind, though, from yesterday's double-header... did you see how the Yanks were playing it against Wakefield in the first inning of the first game? Something about that just didn't sit right with me. I mean, you're bunting for base hits and stealing bases for what? You've won the division. The guy on the mound will be lucky to get to the 5th inning in this stage of his career. You've got a bunch of mashers in your lineup. You should be swinging away and not bunting to win. Just seemed like the Yanks really wanted that game after starting out that way.

They played to win. How can you fault them for that? I just hope they continue to do the same for the next 3 days.

Hail Cesar 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

View PostBigSlick, on 26 September 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

They played to win. How can you fault them for that? I just hope they continue to do the same for the next 3 days.

They could have won in other ways. I can't fault them for competing, but I can fault them for trying to dig the dagger in just a bit deeper. I mean, you play the way they did against a Justin Verlander if you don't think that your team can hit him, you don't play that way against a Tim Wakefield. Wakefield's been a good pitcher, but he's never been someone who teams say, "If we don't get to him early, then we're not gonna get to him." It's the same thing when a team is stealing bags when they're up by 10 runs. It's just a sh!tty thing to do.

rominer 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

View PostHail Cesar, on 26 September 2011 - 01:40 PM, said:

They could have won in other ways. I can't fault them for competing, but I can fault them for trying to dig the dagger in just a bit deeper. I mean, you play the way they did against a Justin Verlander if you don't think that your team can hit him, you don't play that way against a Tim Wakefield. Wakefield's been a good pitcher, but he's never been someone who teams say, "If we don't get to him early, then we're not gonna get to him." It's the same thing when a team is stealing bags when they're up by 10 runs. It's just a sh!tty thing to do.

They are the Yankees.

Would you expect them to win with class?

Mike LansWho 

• Model citizen, zero discipline
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

Regardless of their intention, I think the Yankees will lose the next 2 games (and loose bad). The Red Sox need to find a way to win the next two just to force a 1 game playoff.

Manny's PS2 

• Bippity Boppity Boo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

I really hope Sabbathia is awful in their first playoff game and it can be blamed on RUST. He hasn't pitched in a while and Genius Joe is holding him out of the Tampa series. I hope he's been hanging at a 24 hour buffet for the last week.

I think the Yankees will try to win, while resting regulars. Why would they go balls out to win a series that means nothing. What if Slappy dives and gets his uniform dirty or Intangibles chases a foul ball into the stands because he tries harder than anyone else?

rominer 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

View PostManny, on 27 September 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

I really hope Sabbathia is awful in their first playoff game and it can be blamed on RUST. He hasn't pitched in a while and Genius Joe is holding him out of the Tampa series. I hope he's been hanging at a 24 hour buffet for the last week.

After going this long without pitching, one would assume that a man of his girth would probably have a heart attack on the mound by the third inning.

Good. F**k him.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users